Import 25fps DCP for 24fps version - external audio timing problem

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
mytbyte

Import 25fps DCP for 24fps version - external audio timing problem

Post by mytbyte »

I know there is a work around for the following problem but it is unnecessarily time-consuming so I'm asking the more proficient users here if there is an option that I'm missing...

Here goes: I create a 25fps DCP but I also need to make a 24fps INTEROP version...For that I use the possibility to re-import the 25fps DCP and set the new DCP's settings to 24fps. DCP-O-MATIC keeps the frames intact, runs them at slower speed while streching the audio and that works perfectly as long as the audio is part of the imported DCP...BUT!!!

If I receive a separate audio mix for the 24 fps version and try to mix that external 24fps-base audio with the 25fps DCP original version I import, I cannot make the external "24fps" audio not to stretch and timing of the video and audio don't match...order of operations makes no difference, it always stretches where it shouldn't...

I'd like to know whether there is somethng I can do to make it work in one pass, or I need to keep building the 24fps no-audio DCP version first, then importing it together with the "24 fps" audio and building again...

perhaps I shuould make it a feature request, since it doesn't seem hard to implement...???

Thank you!
carl
Site Admin

Re: Import 25fps DCP for 24fps version - external audio timing problem

Post by carl »

Hi there,
What should work is clicking on your separate 24fps audio file, then going into the timing tab and entering "24" into the "video frame rate" box. Then DCP-o-matic will know that you have prepared that file for 24fps.
Let us know if that doesn't work.
mytbyte

Post by mytbyte »

Ah, yes...I have already tried this a couple of times before with no success, but gave it another go. However, forcing framerate doesn't seem to work with audio, apparently (as it probably shouldn't since audio has no framerate)...I input 24, click "set" and nothing happens, play length remains the same...also, the DCP gets built to the duration of the video asset...do you think it's an easy fix???...

Thanks
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

That is something we discussed a few times. I have to admit I never tried this with recent versions, always dragged it until I would have proper test footage or a formal test. But when I tried to use that feature in the past, it seemed it didn't work for me either.

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

You're right, what I suggested is just not implemented :oops:

I will have a tinker now.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

:roll: :mrgreen:
mytbyte

Post by mytbyte »

carl wrote:You're right, what I suggested is just not implemented :oops:

I will have a tinker now.
...thanks...
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

My suggestion is implemented in 2.7.15 so you should be able to use that now ...
mytbyte

Post by mytbyte »

carl wrote:My suggestion is implemented in 2.7.15 so you should be able to use that now ...
I just did a quick test with 2.7.18 and it seems to work now...thank you, sir...