P3 for projector?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Phantom

P3 for projector?

Post by Phantom »

Short question: should I choose P3 for making DCP for cinemaprojector? Original colorspace is rec.709

I have screened some DCP with rec.709 and they have all had a too less contrast and color.
carl
Site Admin

Re: P3 for projector?

Post by carl »

In DCP-o-matic you should specify the colourspace of your source file and DCP-o-matic will (should!) do the rest.

Did your contrast / colour problems come from DCPs made with DCP-o-matic?
Phantom

Re: P3 for projector?

Post by Phantom »

Ok, then I know about the choice of colorspace.

I have had problems with DCP-o-matic, with a bleached looks, but it´s almost OK, I believe it mostly me seeing this. One client had a DCP done at another place and it looked terrible. Don't know what software they used.

I did some test with SMPTE bars screened from a ProRes file and it had very little contrast and little chroma. Also screened the same bars from a DCP made with dcpomatic and it showed the same problem. So I guess the projector couldn't handle it. Even though it was calibrated some days before.
I tried both bars with Video levels and Data levels. Data levels was not the solution.

I´ve screened films at different cinemas and the all look different. But no one has showed the picture as contrasty and colorful as I see it on my Grade 1 monitor, or even on my computer screen. I find it hard to predict the result.

I work as a part-time colorist.