DCP verification player

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Carsten

Re: DCP verification player

Post by Carsten »

I just noticed that Doremi Cineplayer Evaluation is still available from Doremis/Dolbys FTP site, so they did not actually pull the plug on the demo, it was just a collateral effect of the Doremi -> Dolby website transition.

Access to this FTP is not actually public, but Doremi communicated the login in the past more or less freely in support documents, so it's not really a secret...

- Carsten
Cantar4

Post by Cantar4 »

Hello Carsten, Bootcamp or Parallel ? here is the answer from Neo :
" Technically the NeoDCP Player will be working under Parallels.
Unfortunately in this case we can't guarantee you the quality of the output.
The playback may stutter or something else.
There will always remain a layer under Parallels - the Mac OS X - which may perform
unwanted operations in multitasking for other running Mac OS apps. "
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

It may still be an option, as you can still check DCPs even with a non-100% dependable performance. If you need precise playback, then Bootcamp.

Wondering how 'precise' the timing can be on a notebook display anyway - the display will have a refresh rate of 60Hz presumably, so there will be some jitter anyway if you are not using an external 24p capable display device? Do you?

- Carsten
Cantar4

Post by Cantar4 »

Waiting for the day DoM can offer us THE sync-sound DCP player,
v. 2.11.7 released today already brings audio playback in preview mode,
it is a joy to work with !
Thank you Carl.
--jp

note: Preview sound isn't turned on by default, you need to enable it in the Preferences menu.
Tick " Play sound in the preview via ..." then select the desired output.
Last edited by Cantar4 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cantar4

Post by Cantar4 »

Anders M Olsson wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:18 pm I don't think ffmpeg supports reading DCP-subtitles from an mxf-file. Supported file-formats are listed here:
https://ffmpeg.org/general.html#Subtitle-Formats
hello Anders, I read that FFmpeg now shows .srt subs in the latest list. Is it that FFmeg still can't extract them from the mxf-file, be it Interop or SMPTE ?
--jp
PS: when converting a DCP to mp4 it is mandatory to keep the subtitles in the same
dimensions, color and position within the frame.
Last edited by Cantar4 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

On my older i7 Macbook, it's sluggish,but I do have sound with a 2k DCP. It's not perfectly stable (how can it be if the machine can hardly sustain 12-15fps).

You need to enable audio play in preview for a suitable audio interface (in my case, internal stereo) in prefs, and assign the proper channels in the audio matrix. There had been some issue with the matrix, and initially I had to assign all the channels I wanted to hear to 1/2 (L/R). Carl told me he implemented a mixdown function for stereo playout, I think that is working already in 2.11.10. You can actually enable/disable audio channels in the matrix dynamically while your are playing. It seems that with a real beefy machine, it could work nicely at least with 24/25fps content.
I did not test it yet, but I guess with a multichannel audio interface, or through HDMI out, you could actually play multichannel...

I am on OS X Sierra, with a (DUAL coreHT) 2.9GHz i7 MacBook, traditional HD. My 4 CPU threads are not nearly maxed out during DCP playing. From what I see there, this machine could play back a 2k/24fps DCP nicely, even without GPU. The bottleneck is still OpenJPEG...

But it looks as if there is hope...

- Carsten
Cantar4

Post by Cantar4 »

Carsten wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:24 pm My 4 CPU threads are not nearly maxed out during DCP playing. From what I see there, this machine could play back a 2k/24fps DCP nicely, even without GPU. The bottleneck is still OpenJPEG..
Not for long ...
" 27 April 2017: … Rouault, already known for his contributions on multi-threading, will work towards improving several aspects of the code. Main focus is the decoding speed, region-of-interest decoding and memory footprint. Faster and better OpenJPEG can therefore be expected by the end of 2017." See http://www.openjpeg.org/2017/04/27/Fast ... s-on-track
--jp
Cantar4

Post by Cantar4 »

The news above and the announcement below may quite soon put an happy end
to our 18.OOO views thread :)

Carl, why do you add " albeit not a very good one " when we all know you are the author of the most sophisticated,
crash proof and simple to use DCP generator ?
--jp
carl wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:20 pm It turned out to be quite an easy hack to multithread the playback, so making a standalone player (albeit not a very good one) may now be hard to resist!
Last edited by Cantar4 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

It will still need a hefty CPU to run real-time, but then again I haven't paid much attention to OpenJPEG (and rarely to its decoding speed at all) so maybe things are improving there...
lahorimale7

Post by lahorimale7 »

Best free trial player is nu-registered STEREOSCOPIC PLAYER by www.3dtv.at