Validation and subtitles

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Atreyu

Validation and subtitles

Post by Atreyu »

Greetings from Poland!
I'm a projectionist in a small arthouse cinema in north Poland, we have a Sony SRX-R210 device. Sometimes I make some DCP, using DCP-O-MATIC software ;) I have only two comments on your program. First, it's a problem with validation of generated DCP packages, it seems to be a unsigned PL/CPL issue. Second, it's lack of SMPTE subtitles, Your program can only blended a some raster based subtitles into a picture, but creating separate vector subtitles written in a XML file is still unavailable :(
Anyway, great job, and best luck for You!
SONY 4K SRX-R210, DCI projector
SONY LMT-200, DCP compliant mediablock
Prexer AP-621, 35mm projectors
USL JSD-80D, audioprocessor
carl
Site Admin

Re: The DCP-o-matic forum

Post by carl »

Hello Atreyu,
First, it's a problem with validation of generated DCP packages, it seems to be a unsigned PL/CPL issue
PKLs and CPLs should be signed... are you getting an error message from your projector or server?
Second, it's lack of SMPTE subtitles, Your program can only blended a some raster based subtitles into a picture, but creating separate vector subtitles written in a XML file is still unavailable :(
Yes, I will get around to that soon, I hope.

Thanks
Carl
Atreyu

Re: The DCP-o-matic forum

Post by Atreyu »

Hello Carl!
First of all, if You can please move this thread to a separate topic.

About on validation packages on sony device. Sony is a very weird piece of... equipment ;) SRX-R210 is a compact machine integrating projector, server, player and command computer system. This two blocks, server and player, is named a mediablock LMT-200. Sony LMT-200 accept ONLY DCP packages, but unlike a Doremi, is VERY sensitive to syntax of XML files. Small error invisible on Doremi cause a error messages on SONY, and of course some abnormal behavior :(

Anyway, on LMT-200 I have a two packages generated by Your program. First package it's a full length movie encoded by older version DVD-O-MATIC ver. 0.89

Image Image

Just like You see verify status is still "Unsigned". Validation process stops after few seconds without any error message.

Second package is a generated on most recent version of DCP-O-MATIC. It's a short "homemade" film.

Image Image

Validation process also stops after few seconds, but here is a laconic log information only:

That's all. Other packages generated by EasyDCP can validated correctly.
Best regards from Poland.
Atreyu

Re: Validation and subtitles

Post by Atreyu »

I've checked last version 1.34 and still can't make a validation on the SONY LMT-200 :(

Image Image Image

Best regards. . .
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Hi there,

Sorry it's still not working. I haven't got an immediate suggestion. Perhaps we should try making some DCPs that are not signed at all, and see if it is happy with those.
Regards, Carl
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Hi again,

Perhaps you could try version 1.41 from here:

http://dcpomatic.com/test-download.php

This has an option (in the DCP tab) to turn off signing for the DCP: if you turn it off, does your server accept the DCP happily?
Thanks,
Carl
Atreyu

Post by Atreyu »

I think there a misunderstanding happened, because of my poor English.

Playing DCP packages encoded by DCP O MATIC was never a problem on the Sony SRX-R210. The problem was just the validation (CRC test) ingested package.

In a moment I'll encode something new version of the program, and we are see how it looks now.

Maciek.
Atreyu

Post by Atreyu »

Hello!
1.41 into my very old workcomputer can't encode anything. On this archaic machine based on Northwood Celeron 2,7GHz and 32 bit XP, Your program generated some error only and can't encode any frame. Inside XP log I found information listed bellow:

Into application dcpomatic.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulty module msvcrt.dll, version 7.0.2600.5512, error adress 0x00032a16.

On this same computer are installed older version of DVD-O-MATIC 0.98 32bit, and it working well.

In home I encoding few second DCP using 1.41 64bit, and program will encoding it correctly.

First version are DCP without a signed control playlist

Playback of the package is errorfree on SRX-R210. Validation is unavailable.

Second version have a signed CPL:

This package are a unplayable and unvalidated :(

Maciek.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I know it's been a while ;)
... but did you ever try creating an Interop DCP with DCP-o-matic to see if that works any better?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Maybe still an interesting topic.

The Sony R220/320 in so far is special as that it allows to trigger a separate validation process. Which also means, that validation is not necessarily part of the ingest process.

Now, I have never worked on a Sony 220/320, but we do operate a new Sony R515. We never had any issues importing commercial DCPs or DCPs created with DCP-o-matic. BUT - when listing up ingested content in the library, the Sony shows a weird mix of DCPs being validated/non-validated, and it is not clear to me why certain packages receive an 'OK' and others not. Even the commercial DCPs are all over the place.

That said - we recently received a commercial DCP through broadband, which ingested fine (that is, no errors). But it suffered playback issues (for the first time on our Sony). The DCP was bad, we received a new disc, deleted the old content (had to, because the Sony would not ingest from the disc as it thought the existing feature was complete), reingested, and it played fine.

Now, this SHOULD never had happened, because broken files should be detected in the ingest/validation process. The DCP came from a commercial mastering facility, it contained hashes. So, the only assumption I can make is, that the Sony R515 is not (always) doing a proper validation on/after ingest. Unlike the R220/R320, the R515 does not have a separate option to validate files. Really wondering what goes on there.

As far as I know, Doremis validate DCPs in realtime during ingest.

I recently did various tests with different methods in DCP-o-matic to see wether the Sony accepts one of them with an 'OK' in the validation tab. Haven't succeeded yet.

See attached screenshot. All these DCPs, regardless of OK or NG (not good) play fine on our server, and ingest without any errors/warnings. They just list up in the library with either an 'OK' or 'NG'.

- Carsten
validation_sony.jpg
validation_sony.jpg (68.34 KiB) Viewed 22508 times