Validation and subtitles

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Validation and subtitles

Post by carl »

Are there any more detailed logs buried anywhere about the validation process?
MoonBase

Post by MoonBase »

I know this thread is a little old, but today I tested 4K encrypted and unencrypted, and a 2K encrypted DCPs on a Sony RX320 and 515 and all three failed to play on both projectors. The encrypted failed validation as well. Any ideas? I'm about to test the same DCPs on Dolby gear at another theater this afternoon. Should I adjust any settings and make new DCPs? I was using 2.4.14

-Parke
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Can you get access to any error logs or anything on the Sony machines? What exactly happened with the failure to play? Did the DCPs fail to ingest, or fail to play back?
Thanks, Carl
MoonBase

Post by MoonBase »

carl wrote:Can you get access to any error logs or anything on the Sony machines? What exactly happened with the failure to play? Did the DCPs fail to ingest, or fail to play back?
I will try to get the error logs. The DCPs ingested, but the two encrypted failed to pass validation and failed to play back. The validation would start and quickly stop. The KDMs worked fine. The unencrypted looked as though it would play, but gave a "Serious Error" or something similar when played, and needed to be rebooted.

As a follow up, the exact same DCPs played without a problem at another theater on a Dolby DSS200 (and Barco DP2K-20C projector).

Thanks,
Parke
MoonBase

Post by MoonBase »

I heard back from the projectionist, but his information may not be detailed enough to be helpful. I've asked for more details, but here is what is said:
Basically, the 320 wasn't letting me play the encrypted files, because they hadn't been validated. And I also wasn't able to get the sony to validate the content. Then what happened with the un-encrypted, which looked fine, was that it just wouldn't play. It would get to 5 seconds and then just stop. It also cause and LED alert to go off on my Media Block. About the same thing happened when I tried the same file in the 515. Wouldn't play and I got some kind of error. Sorry I don't remember what the error said exactly.
jonny

Post by jonny »

Hi Carl,

I am experiencing the same issue with version 2.4.0.

My test was to create an OV file with Subtitle version files, I followed the guide you created here on the forum regarding how to do this. I ingested the OV file and the two VFs which contained subtitles. I created all 3 files with encryption and created KDMs for each with the correct IMB certs. I ingested the OV file and KDM which ingested fine without any issues however when I tried to ingest the VFs I got the following error flag up on the Sony TMS "Failed to refresh DCPs of Library Server, the items in the DCP (Name of DCP) isnt found un Assest Map."

When I looked further into it, I found the following information, I hope it is of some help to you. The TMS showed the validation status as OK, however when I scheduled it to play on one of the screens the screen server gave the following message on the screen "Specified SPL is not playable. It contains CPLs failed in verifying" When I looked at the library on the SMS it showed the following information for the CPL "Verify status: NG" and "Validation Status: NONE" I also noticed that the SMS was showing the following information "Audio Status: NONE" and "Video Status: NONE"

I have also tried this with a copy which isnt encrypted yet I recieved the same error messages when ingesting the VFs onto the TMS.

I have never had an issue with DCP-o-matic in the past with the Sony TMS or SMSs installed where I work.

For the time being if I need to create any DCPs I will revert back to the previous version I had installed as I can do unencrypted and encrypted files with it but not subtitles in VFs files, however this is not a major issue at the current time.

Many Thanks

Jonny
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Did you create Interop or SMPTE encryped DCPs? Because, encrypted SMPTE DCPs from DCP-o-matic (and other software) do not work on the 515/510, I told Carl about this before, but it seems this is a Sony issue.

The 'Verify' status thing on the 515/510 - yes, this is normal, that there is a wild mix of good/no good in the library. For no apparent reason.

I guess I should try to get an explanation from Sony some time.

- Carsten
jonny

Post by jonny »

Hi Carsten,

I believe I may have made them as SMPTE dcp packages but I have the master files still so I will try to make them as interop packages and give that a try instead to see how we go on that score.

I know Sony have recently applied updates to the R515 projectors but I believed this was an issue with incorrect lamp serial numbers being displayed, unless they have done something with the update to cause problems with dcp playback.

I will make a set of dcps in the interop format both with and without kdms and report back with a result. If I set them as interop packages is that likely to solve the problem of the VFs not ingesting correctly?

Cheers

Jonny
MoonBase

Post by MoonBase »

Carsten wrote:Did you create Interop or SMPTE encryped DCPs...
Yes, I created SMPTE encrypted DCPs that failed on the Sony, but worked on other gear. If I get another chance to test, I might try an Interop.

Please let us know if you get a chance to contact Sony.

What kind of DCPs work on your 515? All Interops? Or a mix? (I was under the impression that SMPTE was always the way to go.)

-Parke
jonny

Post by jonny »

Hi all,

Well here is my report back with my findings.

I re-encoded the DCPs so that they were iop instead of SMPTE, this appears to have sorted the problem of the Validation on the SMS. The encrypted package I generated played without any issues what so ever.

However I am still running into the issue I experienced before with regard to the version files. I ingest the main package or the OV file without issue however I am still getting the following message: "Failed to refresh DCPs of Library Server, the items in the DCP (Name of DCP) isnt found un Assest Map."

All DCPs I generated on the second attempted were iop format and were encrypted but all packages had KDMs for them. The above error message appears as soon as it has ingested the VFs.

Cheers

J