Creating a 5.1 DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
mkm

Creating a 5.1 DCP

Post by mkm »

I'm trying to create a DCP for a feature length film, mixed in 5.1 sound. I have a ProRes 422 quicktime file with six audio tracks that I exported from Final Cut Pro 7 that I'm working from.

I'm a little confused about whether DCP-o-matic is correctly interpreting the 6 tracks of audio as 5.1 surround sound. In the "Audio" tab, in the "Audio Stream" dropdown menu, I can pick from six different audio channels individually, but not all at once. Is this an issue with my export, or is that just the way it displays 5.1 sound? In the DCP-o-matic manual, it shows all 6 tracks being displayed at once for 5.1 audio, but I'm not getting that.

Also, is there a free player out there to be able to test a surround sound DCP?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Best,
Bryan Chang
Meerkat Media
carl
Site Admin

Re: Creating a 5.1 DCP

Post by carl »

For reference, we have discussed this elsewhere and it is a missing feature in DCP-o-matic which I will work on.
EncoreMedia

Post by EncoreMedia »

Carl, Not sure I understand your reply... if a Quicktime Movie has 6 channels of audio laid out as such: L, R, Cen ,LFE, LS, RS (Chans. 1 - 6 in respective order) DCPomatic will not create a 5.1? with the audio mapping set accordingly?
System: MacPro - OSX Lion - 12 Core 3.46 GHZ
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

QuickTime (and other) files can have multiple "streams" of audio, each of which can contain 1 or more channels. The problem that the original poster is talking about is that DCP-o-matic cannot merge multiple single-channel streams into one DCP (yet). It should be fine with a single multiple-channel stream (which is a lot more common).
amiga78

Post by amiga78 »

In DVD-o-matic there was/is this fantastic option to import audiochanels separately. It is very helpful when you don't have time to export youre film again with correct audio channels.
Will that feature reappear in DCP-o-matic perhaps?
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

You can just add your audio files with the "Add file" button, then map them to the correct channel(s) with the "Audio" tab and they will be used in preference of any audio that is on your main film file. Is that what you need?
timecode

Post by timecode »

Hello 5.1 audio poster's,
I am attempting to create a DCP for a friend who is a documentary film maker.
I have a pro-res video file out-put from FCP with no audio and 6 separate audio channel files.
Under the DCP tab I do have "6" chosen for "Audio channels". I do not get the the 6 separate lines under "Content" as seen in figure 5.10 of the manual. I am only getting one line under "Content"
In the "file added" window if I Click on each of the separate files for the audio channels, L, R, C, Ls...etc I have highlighted their corresponding box on the "Content" line.
Will DCP-o-matic make a DCP in 5.1 with the separate audio files or do I have to bring in a movie file with all the audio already embedded in it?

thank you
in gratitude
timecode
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

This video might explain; let me know if it is unclear.
adamo

Post by adamo »

mkm wrote: ...
Also, is there a free player out there to be able to test a surround sound DCP?
Best,
Bryan Chang
Meerkat Media
Hi Bryan,
not sure about a full DCP player for the PC, but a quick test to answer your question about the audio is to play the audio mxf from the DCP through VLC media player. From there you can go to 'tools->codec information' to display a lot of information about the audio track, including how many channels there are.
Eliza

Post by Eliza »

Hi DCP-o-matic people:
We have created mp4s in Adobe Premier and we need convert them to DCPs with 5.1
surround sound. We are having problems doing so. I saw a thread that
suggested it simply wasn't possible. Can you advise? We have a live test
audience tomorrow and can't get the 5.1 to work in the DCP. We can see it
on the software but it just doesn't play. We tried two ways, an mp4 with an
interleaved file and an mp4 with the six mono stems placed for the mp4.
When converted to DCP neither one plays 5.1 in the cinema. ~Eliza
Last edited by Eliza on Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.