Dolby server doesn't open DCP VF

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Carsten

Re: Dolby server doesn't open DCP VF

Post by Carsten »

I can only say that doing VFs is a bit of a black art if you're after more than just adding a separate soundtrack or subtitles. One needs to be very careful. And yes, despite DCI and SMPTE standards, different servers behave differently...

One would have to look very closely at the OV/VF combo in order to find out wether it's DOLBYs or DCP-o-matic's fault.

- Carsten
Aswippe Johnson

Post by Aswippe Johnson »

I have been completely unable to make consistently-working version files with DOM. It's less trouble to just make a different DCP for any alt version. Storage is cheap.
YOU will be ostracised!
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You have to keep a very straight work discipline going from A to B (or OV to VF). This can become an issue if you need to create a VF for an older OV that has already been distributed, and if you have made changes to the project afterwards. DCP-o-matic protects you from doing certain bad things while creating a VF, but I guess it can not prevent everything. A good idea is to test the VF at least basic by loading it and then assigning the OV in DCP-o-matic player (or DCP-o-matic main GUI). This, of course, may not catch all issues that real servers exhibit in the field.

Track replacement (e.g. new audio in VF, add subtitles to VF) always works for me. As soon as it gets more complicated, I would always create a self-contained new DCP.

- Carsten