Which files can I ditch?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
rtX

Which files can I ditch?

Post by rtX »

Having completed a DCP run with 142,000 DPX files as the source, can I ask which of the files I can safely/should ditch? I do understand that the DPC itself is in the folder with the film name and other DCI compliant elements as part of its name. There are also folders called info, j2c, video and files called log and metadata.xml. I think I have to keep metadata.xml as it has my key in it and other useful information.

info has a subfolder containing what looks like an md5 file for each frame of the film.
j2c has a subfolder containing 61 image files
video has a sub-folder containing a large mxf file (c. 180GB)

I'm happy to keep all files until I see the DCP working, but wonder if I need to do so, once everything is confirmed okay?
carl
Site Admin

Re: Which files can I ditch?

Post by carl »

Hi,

Some of these files are dicussed in the manual.

As you say, the info subfolder contains an MD5 file per frame; DCP-o-matic would use these to save re-encoding video if you re-ran a DCP transcode and changed only sound settings (for example).

Occasionally DCP-o-matic pushes frames to disk rather than holding them in memory (if its internal queue gets too long); those are the files in the J2C folder.

The large MXF file in the video subfolder is a hard-link to the video in the DCP (see here).

You should keep the metadata.xml if you have used encryption (as you say, it contains the encryption key) but everything else can be deleted.
rtX

Re: Which files can I ditch?

Post by rtX »

Thanks for the reply, Carl. I'll delete the contents of the j2c folder and keep the rest 'just in case'.