DCP Encryption Test / Clipster

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
rtX

DCP Encryption Test / Clipster

Post by rtX »

I selected 'Encrypt' check box on the master machine and processed my independent feature per my other recent posts. Today, I submitted the DCP (the correct files etc. per chapter 11 of the manual) to a 'friendly' major post production house in London, but without a key without the working files and without metadata.xml which has an entry for the encryption key. I wanted to check it was encrypted, that they could not play it as was. Assuming this was the case, I'd planned to then ask them for their certificate so I can generate a KDM for them to run the DCP per Chapter 7 of the manual. They have tried to use a Clipster to open the DCP (without a KDM as they have not provided me with a certificate).

Their response was as follows:
The directory contents appears to be correct, and the CPL opens and displays all pertinent info id expect. However it doesn't appear to be encrypted yet the Clipster wont open it up 'failed loading KDM'.
He added that he would expect the CPL to include encryption information, and that there was none and that is why he thinks it's not encrypted. The fact that the Clipster fails to open it suggests to me that it is encrypted. I said that my understanding is that they have to provide me with a certificate so I can generate a KDM, but the guy said no point as he'd not be able to enter the key as it stands.

Does this make sense? Is there something I could have done wrong?
carl
Site Admin

Re: DCP Encryption Test / Clipster

Post by carl »

Hi,

I'm not familiar with Clipster so I'm not entirely sure what to suggest. It sounds like you have done everything right so far. As you say, the fact that Clipster says it needs a KDM suggests that it has recognised that the DCP is encrypted.

Can you ask the guy what he is expecting to see in the CPL that is not there? Perhaps you could send the CPL to me, too? (carl@dcpomatic.com).
rtX

Post by rtX »

He has sent the metadata to the 'acknowledged' DCP 'experts', for them to look it over. I'll revert when I hear back, although in the meantime, I'll get the CPL and forward it to you, as requested.
rtX

Post by rtX »

Quick update. It seems that the Clipster in question was running out of date software, which can not recognise an SMTPE DCI compliant DCP. Not a DCP-o-matic issue at all - a Clipster issue! Apologies for wasting time.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

No problems, thanks for letting us know :)