Add subtitles to an existing Encrypted DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Guddu

Add subtitles to an existing Encrypted DCP

Post by Guddu »

Could we add subtitles to an existing Encrypted DCP? Apart from the DCP itself what other things would we need for this? Would the DKDM be enough? What is the output of this process? Will it create new files? Or just some additional files/CPLs that need to go in the same folder structure?

Also if we burn the subtitles onto the video then will the process do a re-encoding of the whole DCP?

Thanks for your guidance in advance.
Carsten

Re: Add subtitles to an existing Encrypted DCP

Post by Carsten »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=825

Burn-In - yes, when you burn in subtitles, a complete re-encoding must be done for obvious reasons. In theory, DOM could restrict the reencoding to parts with subtitles only and pass through other footage, but that would be a bad idea.

- Carsten
Anders M Olsson

Post by Anders M Olsson »

Carsten wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:11 pm viewtopic.php?f=2&t=825

Burn-In - yes, when you burn in subtitles, a complete re-encoding must be done for obvious reasons. In theory, DOM could restrict the reencoding to parts with subtitles only and pass through other footage, but that would be a bad idea.

- Carsten
Why would it be a bad idea?

My experience is that that's exactly what happens. Only frames where subtitles are added will be re-encoded (unless things have changed radically since I made a major subtitling project a year ago). The rest will just be passed on untouched.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I don't consider it a good idea to have original and re-encoded material mixed. It may not be immediately visible, though. It could cause trouble with the decoder hardware if frames with different encoding parameters follow each other. Carl may comment on that.

- Carsten