Painless 5.1c surround creation

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
funkytwig

Painless 5.1c surround creation

Post by funkytwig »

Hi, I am creating a DCP for a friend. They have the feature film in Premier and a 5.1 sound mix. Was wondering what the easiest way for me to get the film from them.

In terms of the image the high quality options seem to be Avid DNxHD (they are on windows) or Uncompressed quicklime. I have heard uncompressed is what I should use, will it really make a difference.

In terms of audio if they have a surround track in Premiere will DCP-o-matic unpack it properly or is it best to get separate discreet channels. I gather these can easily be loaded into DCP-O-Matic. Having everything in 1 file seems safer as everything should sync easier.

Regards,
Ben
Carsten

Re: Painless 5.1c surround creation

Post by Carsten »

Should be no problem to create a single file with 5.1 sound. Uncompressed image will be really big (depending on feature length). DNxHD with uncompressed audio should be fine.

They should send you a few short snippets in different settings so you can have a try. I remember some issues with DNxHD in earlier versions of DCP-o-matic, so you should test it beforehand.

- Carsten
BravoZulu

Post by BravoZulu »

[Tested version: DCP-o-matic 1.72.0 x64 - Win7U_SP1 x64]

Hello,

Firstly thank you to Carl for this wonderful software :D

I tried DCP 5.1 (1 Video file DNxHD 175 8-bits + 6 Audio PCM WAV files).

The program is not suitable for separate audio files. (If I understand well).
I assigned channels on the same line.
The DCP tested projection (Doremi server), working with only the channels Left, Center, Right (No: LFE, Ls, Rs) on Dolby CP650.

After that, I used an audio file 5.1 PCM WAV (6 tracks) and everything was OK, except the "Stream" which indicates no information.

What is the link with the "Stream" ?

Thank you for your comments ;)

Guy-Laurent

Other Reference Thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76
-oo0oo- Il ne suffit pas de croire - Encore faut-il le faire -oo0oo-
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Your first example (separate audio files) should have worked if you went through each file assigning it to the correct channel (i.e. click on L.wav then select the green box for L, click on R.wav and select the green box for R and so on).

The stream box is not relevant for WAV files. It only matters for files which contain multiple audio streams (e.g. movie files with multiple languages or mixes). It should be disabled when you are working with WAV files...

I hope that clears it up.
BravoZulu

Post by BravoZulu »

Hello Carl,
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I assigned each file with the correct channel (green box) as you indicate and as visible for "C" on my print screen.
What I forgot to say is that the DCP was 4 times the initial time. (6:46 instead of 1:41).
Once with video and L, C, R, and then 3 times with black and separate LFE, Ls, Rs channels.
I imagine that there is a bug ?

Here I am reassured about the "Stream" box, empty for *.wav files. (What I saw actually assigned with video files with sound).

Best regards,
Guy-Laurent
-oo0oo- Il ne suffit pas de croire - Encore faut-il le faire -oo0oo-
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Sounds to me as if you still did not assign the channels properly for multichannel. Also check under der DCP tab that it is set to 6 channels.

If you don't assign each individual audio file for multichannel audio properly, DCP-o-matic will assume they should be placed sequentially, not in parallel. Hence the added runtime, one more for each full track/feature length. And if there is no video, it will fill it with black.

- Carsten