Custom subtitle posistion?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
gunnar

Custom subtitle posistion?

Post by gunnar »

Is anyone here that knows how to let special selected subtitles be on unusual position in the DCP?
I am prepering subtitle VF for DCP and there are some subtitle i would like to be displayed higer so they wont go over graphic that is part of the movie.
I have seen some DCP have special selected subtitles placed higher than others so it wont disturb some text graphic.
I have no idea how this is done.
Is it something the subtitle software i use need to take care of or?
I use both EZ Titles and Subtitle Edit.
Carsten

Re: Custom subtitle posistion?

Post by Carsten »

We had that recently...

https://dcpomatic.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... tion#p3322

If it's only a few subtitles, you may do it by hand in the source file. Cumbersome, but predictable.

Honestly, I would approach one of the authors of the various subtitle editors, it should not be such a problem for them to implement such a feature.

- Carsten
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

Yes. It would be great if there would be some WYSIWYG feature in those subtitle softwares that could then be exported to subtitle format that DoM can use without loose the position info.
I am not at the computer now but i belive hit enter 2-3 times in the srt file to add new lines to that subtitle will not lift him up in DoM.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Not sure about SRT, but in an XML file, it should be no problem to search for a phrase and then add individual position. You can control this in DOM, and if necessary readjust.

Another way would be to repeat subtitle files, trim down to individual segments, then apply per-content position. This could also be used to tune positions, but still do the editing by hand in an XML file.

If you only have SRT files - no problem, you may create an intermediate DCP from it (interop), DOM will create an XML representation of the SRT file. Then you can feed this XML into DOM again, and apply the changes.

- Carsten
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

Thank you.
My subtitle software (EZ Titles) can export out XML digital cinema subtitle.
If i load that XML into DoM will it convert it to its own xml or use it as it is?

Because if i add SRT into DoM and then create VF the XML will then have different position codes than the EZ Titles.

SRT into DoM will create VF files that is like this:
<Text VPosition="88.7" VAlign="top">Line one on the screen.</Text>
<Text VPosition="95.1" VAlign="top">Line two on the screen.</Text>

But EZ titles creates it like:
<Text VPosition="14.0" VAlign="bottom" HPosition="0.0" HAlign="center" Direction="horizontal">Line one on the screen.</Text>
<Text VPosition="6.0" VAlign="bottom" HPosition="0.0" HAlign="center" Direction="horizontal">Line two on the screen.</Text>

So if i edit it in EZ Titles will it be that way after the VF are created or are everything convert to the same XML format?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You have to try it Gunnar. As you see, cinema xml allows different vertical position references - percent screen height from top, percent screen height from bottom. I don't know if DCP-o-matic passes through XML unaltered or always conforms to it's own standard. But it's easy to try - create an XML file, load it into an editor, alter one vertikal position value of a specific title, save, feed into DCP-o-matic, see where this specific title is placed. In order to see this in DCP-o-matic, you do not even need video or audio, just create a new project and insert subtitle file. DCP-o-matic will automatically place the subs on black.

- Carsten
sup

Post by sup »

Aegisub can move subtiles around. But it does not know about DCP subtitles. Subtitle Edit knows about them, but ignores the positional infromation in ASS files. Quite sad!