Convert existing INTEROP DCP to SMPTE?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
serpico009

Re: Convert existing INTEROP DCP to SMPTE?

Post by serpico009 »

carl wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:14 pmThat's bad news... is it feasible for me to get hold of the original Interop DCP?
I think so, I can send you a Cinesend download link if that works for you? Just to note, the INTEROP DCP was provided by a third party, and I'm just trying to convert it to SMPTE.
carl wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:14 pmDid you choose "open subtitles" or "closed captions" here?
Open subtitles; I wanted to see if DCP-O-Matic would actually read and display the subtitles over the video image during playback, since it wasn't including them in the resulting SMPTE package.
serpico009

Post by serpico009 »

Carsten wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:29 pm You should probably just import the Interop subtitles separately, as if you would create a subtitled version. DCP-o-matic would read AND convert them into SMPTE/MXF subtitles, instead of failing to integrate them into a SMPTE project. One could call this a bug or mistake, or not.
The INTEROP DCP is divided up into reels. Would that affect the complexity of using this approach?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

A little bit, yes. However, ultimately, DCP-o-matic should support a straight conversion, as it's a typical use case.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I think so, I can send you a Cinesend download link if that works for you? Just to note, the INTEROP DCP was provided by a third party, and I'm just trying to convert it to SMPTE.
Sounds great, thanks!
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Thanks for sending the DCP!

The freeze on selecting "view subtitles" is a silly mistake that I have fixed locally and will add to a release soon.

The choppy playback is just (I think) because you are previewing a DCP and this is a computationally-intensive operation that is unfortunately slow on a lot of computers.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Open subtitles; I wanted to see if DCP-O-Matic would actually read and display the subtitles over the video image during playback, since it wasn't including them in the resulting SMPTE package.
That message about "not being able to reference" doesn't mean that it can't use the subtitles, only that it can't reference them in a VF that you are making. The GUI is not very clear here, sadly.
serpico009

Post by serpico009 »

So, is the best approach to just manually add the XML files from the INTEROP version? Is that correct?

If so, will DOM automatically assign them to the correct reels?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

It may be the best or only way CURRENTLY. I don't have the time to play around with this at the moment, but ultimately, DCP-o-matic should probably support a straight conversion incl. all CPL elements.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Sorry, it took a while for me to realise that you are not getting any subtitles in your SMPTE output DCP. That's just a bug - it should definitely work. I'm having a look now.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Ticking "use as" in the subtitle tab, then making a new SMPTE DCP works for me (I get a SMPTE DCP with SMPTE subs). Is that what you are doing? Do you see no subtitle files in the resulting DCP?