Process gets stuck

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
jillmobley

Process gets stuck

Post by jillmobley »

I have a longish mp4 that I am trying to convert. It is too big for my 32Gb drive, so I cut it into 3 pieces.
Now the conversion process gets to about 32% and gets stuck. When I close the window, I get the message that the program is not responding.
I have tried two different drives.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
jillmobley

Re: Process gets stuck

Post by jillmobley »

I will ''reels'.
jillmobley

Post by jillmobley »

That did not help. I thought it would prompt me to switch removable drives. I might be doing it wrong.

Any help is appreciated.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

It could be that it's running out of disk space (though that should cause an error rather than getting stuck...)

What are you trying to do? If the DCP you are making is too big for your drive, using a bigger drive is going to be the easiest option!

You could maybe make 3 smaller DCPs and play them back to back. That might work...
jillmobley

Post by jillmobley »

Thank you. I tried splitting them and still got stuck. Trying again this morning with a different drive. I am going to try 'reels' thinking if it works it will prompt me to insert a new drive. The manual does not say if it will or it won't. I will post my results. 8-)
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I'm afraid reels won't help with this problem. I think there is/was some support in the DCP format for DCPs to be spanned over multiple drives but nobody uses it so I doubt it would ever really work.

If you really have to make 3 DCPs you would need to make 3 projects, each one with your source file trimmed accordingly. But I really would suggest getting a bigger drive if at all possible.
jillmobley

Post by jillmobley »

I think I do not understand how to produce a reel. I have a reel completed (I think) but have no idea how to produce the remaining footage on different removable drives.

I also produced a DCP of the entire 30 minute video on a computer instead of a removable drive. I am wondering what files I need to copy to a removeable drive for it to play on the projector.
Kewl

Post by Kewl »

jillmobley wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:40 amI am wondering what files I need to copy to a removeable drive for it to play on the projector.
https://dcpomatic.com/manual/html/ch14.html & https://dcpomatic.com/manual/html/ch20.html
jillmobley

Post by jillmobley »

Super helpful, thank you! I don't know why I did not find that my self!

The files the projector needs are 41Gb which will be easy to put on a removable drive.

I will now work on learning reels when I am not under a time pressured deadline.

Thanks to all!
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Hi Jill - creating reels will not help much. Unless you are using an old removable drive format like FAT32, where it may be useful to create max 4GB reels in order to overcome a filesystem limitation. However, if that's the case, you would be better off to reformat that removable drive to e.g. NTFS.

Other than that, there is not much sense in creating more that one reel (default setting) when creating the DCP for your own screen. Just use an external drive that is big enough. I suggest using a 512Gbyte removable disc or SSD, formatted to MBR/NTFS. USB flash sticks are dead slow and do fail relatively often.

It is always better to create the DCP on a local/internal drive and copy it to an external drive for transport later.

- Carsten