DCP ingest error - file size is incorrect

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Miriana

DCP ingest error - file size is incorrect

Post by Miriana »

I made DCP of feature length documentary and uploaded to Dropbox for delivery.
Using DOM version 2.16.55 git 3ea06bs69 on Mac Montery 12.6
I have made other DCPs with no issue.

They send me screenshot of error.
'File size 69980395342 is incorrect (should be 91747951675)'
the j2 video file is 91.75 GB

When I played the DCP in DOM Player on my Mac it passed verification and played with no problem
When I played the DCP on Windows 10 using DOM player it did not play. It opened on the first frame but would to play.

I started again with new render of the video and remade the DCP but same problem.

Can anyone tell me what is causing the problem and how to fix.

Thank you
Miriana
Attachments
DCP errors.png
DCP errors.png (256.54 KiB) Viewed 604 times
carl
Site Admin

Re: DCP ingest error - file size is incorrect

Post by carl »

Is that J2C file the right size on Dropbox?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Hi Miriana - pretty sure the problem is not on your side. I assume you use the DropBox Client software to upload the DCP? Now, using DCP-o-matic player, you can verify the DCP that lies in your DropBox folder. If it verifies okay, then there might be something wrong with the DropBox (very unlikely), or, they had corruption issues on their side downloading the DCP/copying it to their USB media.

It may be that they downloaded the files through a shared link/browser download. There is a high risk for large files to become corrupted that way. Or their USB stick/disc causes issues. If YOU upload the files through a webbrowser into THEIR Dropbox, the problem most likely occurs during this upload process. As Carl says - check the filesize within Dropbox.

- Carsten
Miriana

Post by Miriana »

Thank you for your replies.
I checked the file size of j2c in dropbox and yes to is the same size as on my hard drive 91.75BG.
I played the Dropbox version in DOM Player and it played with no problem and passed verification.

I will try to test on another computer.

This was a screener DCP (why they wanted DCP for screener I don't know. We ended up sending them MP4 which they accepted)

But I am concerned in case it's the same problem when I need to make the final version as the film has already been accepted in a (different) festival.
Will try to make DCP on disc and try to test in cinema.

Anything else I could try?

Miriana
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Somebody didn't pay attention downloading the file. There are two ways to download files from a dropbox account that is not your own - as a browser download (download/save as), or, copy file to your own dropbox (if they have an account that has enough capacity). Then their Dropbox client will download the file (which is safer than a browser/shared link download). I am pretty sure the fault is on their side - and by pinpointing the different filesizes, they have to acknowledge this. They need to download it again. Dropbox, Google DRIVE, etc. are safe enough, at least when the client sync software is used on both sides. But of course, then both accounts need to have an account with the necessary capacity/price model.

'Filemail' is another option.

See here: https://dcpomatic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2086
Miriana

Post by Miriana »

Thanks for the link - I'll have a look at Filemail.
The company I sent the DCP to is a big organisation here in Sydney but they wanted the files(s) to be sent from our dropbox.
Possibly their mistake but unsettling nonetheless.
Miriana