DCP verification warns me of xml malformations

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
vertical_interval

DCP verification warns me of xml malformations

Post by vertical_interval »

Hello everyone, new user here.

I am a uber-noob user, :| sorry if this question is too obvious, but I've searched the forum and have looked at the manual and I don't seem to find a satisfactory answer.

I've recently made a couple of DCPs and when I run the "DCP verification" in the DCP-o-matic 2 Player it gives me this same 3 warnings for both DCPs.

What do these warnings mean and how can I repair them? I understand (maybe wrongfully) that these are "warnings" and not "errors", so maybe it's not a situation critical enough to the point of rendering my DCP unplayable... I don't have access to a DCP projector right now, so I haven't been able to test it yet (other than that, the DCP seems to play fine in the DCP-o-matic 2 Player). If an xml is malformed on line 0, is this something I can repair manually? Should I try repacking the DCP? (without reencoding to jpeg2000, reusing the mxf). I would also like to know more about the nature and meaning of these errors.

I'm attaching 3 of the xml files in one of my DCPs. Given that it gives me the same warnings in both DCPs, I understand that it's exactly the same issue in both of them. The only xml I'm not attaching is VOLINDEX, because it doesn't seem to be affected (not mentioned in the warnings), and also because the maximum number of files allowed to attach in a post on this forum is 3. :)

I'm using DCP-o-matic version 2.15.102 on a Windows 7 machine.

The reason I'm using the test version instead of the stable 2.14.40 is, in short, that this test version has a new function that lets the user interpret the color range of the input file.

I had the same problem as this user (apparent clipping in the lowest and highest levels on input) viewtopic.php?f=2&t=198 but in my case, rendering in full rgb instead of rec.709 didn't solve the issue. I don't know, it may be related with the way ffmpeg interprets the file on input, because the crushing in blacks can already be clearly seen in the preview image in DCP-o-matic. In the test version, this issue was solved by selecting "jpeg 0-255" in the range option. In version 2.14.40 I've had this same problem in files using DNxHD 4444 compression (both in rec.709 and full range rendered files, as I said) and also with Blackmagic RGB 10-bit uncompressed (r210) files. But well, that's another story.

Thanks for your attention, and thanks for this great piece of software. Again, I'm just a noob user, I've recently began to use DCP-o-matic in order to make the DCP for a short animated film that I've directed and that I have to send to film festivals. It's probably the only time I'll be using it in years (I don't plan to make any more DCPs of my works as this is the only one that I have to send to film festivals), but I have to say I'm amazed at how "mature" DCP-o-matic seems to be, congrats!

TL;DR
DCP verification in the DCP-o-matic gives me warnings of malformation in 3 xml files. "The XML in filename is malformed on line 0". Is this something I should worry about? Cheers.
Attachments
pkl_35803786-af2a-4a5f-9ec6-42b46c58868f.xml
(8.48 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
cpl_51b2954c-939a-47b9-96c5-70eb38c6db16.xml
(8.89 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
ASSETMAP.xml
(1.78 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
Carsten

Re: DCP verification warns me of xml malformations

Post by Carsten »

Hmm. That problem was already solved a while ago. Maybe it sneaked in again?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1535&p=6725&hilit=malformed#p6725

https://dcpomatic.com/mantis/view.php?id=1766
Last edited by Carsten on Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
scozz76

Post by scozz76 »

Same error with same version on Win 10. SMPTE and IOP.

The error also appears on known good DCP's - Hash checks in EasyDCP are ok.

DCP's ingest without errors at work (Doremi IMB and Christie CP2210)
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Yes, it is just the verification in player that is broken. DCPs are okay.
vertical_interval

Post by vertical_interval »

Carsten wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:21 am Yes, it is just the verification in player that is broken. DCPs are okay.
Happy to hear that! Hope that you can get rid of the bug in the future.
I'll be testing my DCP soon in a film theater, but now I feel more confident that it will not have any issues.

Hopefully this thread will help others that have my same issue. If they google "malformed on line 0" they may find this thread.

Thanks everyone! Great community!
Last edited by vertical_interval on Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I hope that the incorrect XML errors are gone in version 2.15.104.
RaquelGomez

Post by RaquelGomez »

The XML in is malformed on line 2 (no declaration found for element 'SubtitleReel').
Hi this is not exactly the same issue, But I was wondering if could be solved without transcoding all again??. It was created with last version for mac. would it mean it won't play. I am flying tomorrow to a festival and have not time to check it.
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2023-04-18 a las 10.38.16.png
Captura de pantalla 2023-04-18 a las 10.38.16.png (45.93 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

What version of DCP-o-matic is this? I just made a SMPTE DCP and verified it, and things seem OK with 2.16.50. You could also attach/upload the small files in your DCP somewhere (i.e. not the ones that start pcm_ or j2c_) then we could take a look.
RaquelGomez

Post by RaquelGomez »

Thank you for you feedback, it is always very fast but As I was traveling I did not reached on time. Sorry I am back to you late.
I finally rebuild the DCP over night , and the new DCP did not show the warning.