Interop DCP issues with lights off on cinemas and Question about SMPTE markers

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
alexm99999

Interop DCP issues with lights off on cinemas and Question about SMPTE markers

Post by alexm99999 »

Hello,
I created a DCP a couple of months ago and because I wasn't sure if SMPTE was widely supported by all cinemas in my region I decided to make it Interop. However, lights didn't go off immediately and there was a few seconds delay (it happened on multiple cinemas) so that must mean that the cinemas in my region expect SMPTE DCPs 100% of the time (which support markers). Is my assumption about this correct or is something else going on?

Now to my other question about markers as I have decided to make the next DCP SMPTE, the movie only has moving credits. So do I set both FFMC/LFMC and FFEC/LFEC to the same value? Or I ignore one of them? Also why intermission has first and last frame, what is supposed to be in between those frames? Shouldn't that be just one frame? Also, can I leave the intermission empty or that would cause issues on some cinemas?

Thanks in advance
Carsten

Re: Interop DCP issues with lights off on cinemas and Question about SMPTE markers

Post by Carsten »

To my knowledge, only very few cinemas actually use markers to control auditorium lights in an automated fashion.

You need to talk to the operators to find out what happened.
alexm99999

Re: Interop DCP issues with lights off on cinemas and Question about SMPTE markers

Post by alexm99999 »

Hmm I see. I'll ask the operators then to be sure.
Any info on my question about SMPTE markers?

Thanks!
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You only need to take care for the minimum requirements - that is FFOC and LFOC (and DCP-o-matic already complains if they are missing for features). Most projectionists find it useful to have FFMC as an aid to bring up house lights half way. But there is no forced internal logic between them, such as having relations between FFEC and FFMC. On current server software, they are only used as aids, and the projectionist needs to pick and apply them manually when building the show playlist.

For the intermission markers - these are, to my knowledge, to be used with intermission footage that is part of the composition/DCP. As e.g. it had been with 'The Hateful Eight'. These are usually also used to bring up and down house lights during the intermission, while the DCP continues running.

In most cinemas/DCPs nowadays, Intermissions are not implemented that way, but by actually pausing the DCP and running a dedicated intermission playlist. If you accept an intermission in your feature, it is okay to include a marker in order to help the projectionist find your suggested intermission TC when creating the show playlist.

- Carsten