Fuzzy images on pointcloud film

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
noobie

Fuzzy images on pointcloud film

Post by noobie »

Hello,

I am having issues converting a film to DCP. It's a UHD film from Premiere that I need to convert to DCP. The images are all pointclouds and have a lot of low greys. My ProRes files are all fine (perfect resolution, colour depth etc) but no matter what I do in DCP-o-matic, the mxf files for the project become highly pixellated and smudgey. Here's an example:

Original image:

Version after conversion with DCPomatic:

This happens no matter what I do! I have tried every possible combination, exporting from Adobe Media Encoder in every mxf format possible, and changing all the options so that there is theoretically no additional jpeg2000 conversion. Am I just an edge case? Is there a way to guarantee that I can create a DCP from my film that doesn't fudge up?
noobie

Re: Fuzzy images on pointcloud film

Post by noobie »

(I know that the images above are of slightly different frames! But the pixellation and fuzziness happens with nearly every frame in this film, it's driving me mad!)
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

We can't see your images, and once we can, we need to know how you created these stills.

Pointclouds can be very difficult for J2K.
noobie

Post by noobie »

Apologies for the lack of clarity above. This is an update, so that my issue is a bit clearer. Apologies, I have spent a few days trying to get this to work, and am new to making DCPs so have little idea what I am doing. I’ve read everything I can possibly find, but essentially, I cannot find a way to create a DCP of my film without creating fuzzy, unclear images.

I am compiling a DCP for a film that features greyscale pointclouds. The film was compiled in Premiere with thousands of individual JPEGS at high resolution. The quality of low-level grays is the most important thing, it’s very detailed. The ProRes 4444 file plays back beautifully!

But - whenever I convert this to DCP in DCP-o-matic, every frame goes blurry and pixellated. There is something that happens in the JPEG2000 conversion that seriously degrades the image quality, and I cannot find a setting that bypasses this. I have tried all of the image compression settings possible, but DCP-o-matic seems to always re-compress the images in a lossy way, even when I use high bitrates (250mb/s).

Here’s an input image from Premiere, to show the detail in the images:

And here is a still from the outputted mx2 file from DCP-o-matic (screenshot from DCP’s mxf file, taken with VLC) at about the same time:

The same thing happens no matter which settings I choose (all color settings; mpeg/image range within ‘range’ menu; any jpeg2000 bandwidth). The pixellation/false color shows up in DCP-o-matic player, too.

I have tried to re-encode the input file in various ways, including exporting the entire film as .tiff stills, and also as .j2c stills from Media Encoder using the j2k plugin (https://www.fnordware.com/j2k/). But DCP-o-matic seems to *always* recompress my images and fuzz them up. Is there a way to bypass this?

Thank you in advance for your help! :)
Last edited by noobie on Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Tricky, high detail, high contrast, and black and white...

I'll give it a try myself, but, it may be that your only chance is to filter the image, e.g. with gaussian blur at 1-2 pixel prior to export.
Last edited by Carsten on Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

We should check that it is the J2K encode which messes things up (not some other part of the pipeline). Do you have a TIFF of a single frame that you can share? (by email to carl@dcpomatic.com if that's better).

DCP-o-matic should not reencode J2C input files so long as they are the right size (and some other things I probably forgot). Perhaps you could also share a J2C file you made in Media Encoder so I can check why DoM is deciding to re-encode. I take it the J2Cs from Media Encoder look good?