On Screen glitch at beginning and end of DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
sprocket

On Screen glitch at beginning and end of DCP

Post by sprocket »

Hello,

I'm a projectionist and I've been using DCP O Matic for a while and never run into this issue. I'm at a new theater using Christie projectors & Dolby servers and now some of the DCPs I'm making will glitch out at the beginning or end for just a second. They can also seemingly make a studio DCP glitch out at the end if a DCP o Matic DCP is after it. By glitch I mean the colors get crazy and sometimes there will be lines or boxes on screen. Wondering if anyone else has run into this or if anyone has advice. I actually saw the same issue at another theater as a patron so I imagine this is somewhat common. Also I'm making my DCPs from MP4s ripped from YouTube for certain trailers I need. Any advice would be appreciated!
mdudzik

Re: On Screen glitch at beginning and end of DCP

Post by mdudzik »

Is it Dolby DSS200 or similar? I've seen it before - glitches appeared between two clips with different frame rates (e.g. 24 and 25fps) - not sure if it can be fixed.
phili2p

Post by phili2p »

I remember those glitches, too. That's not related to DoM, but as mdudzik mentioned, frame rate and resolution, too (2K, 4K). That's not weird but easy to handle by using some seconds of black. Close the shutter, let your projector and server change all the settings, open the shutter and your screening should be fine.
Or is it inside a DCP? Did you change something in the standard settings like maximum bitrate, frame rate?
sprocket

Post by sprocket »

Thanks for the help! adding a black screen to close the douser for a sec seems to have fixed it. :D
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

This may be related to consecutive playing DCPs having different frame rates or resolution. As far as I know, putting short blacks between them solves it.

- Carsten