VF subs not appearing

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
rosanamadalina

VF subs not appearing

Post by rosanamadalina »

Hi Everyone,

I'm having quite an issue with a VF sub file, as it's not showing up when screened.
I want to firstly state that I was/am in a bit of a time crunch, so I didn't have much time to figure out the optimal way to do this.

I made both the OV and VF using DOM. I used an ASS file for the VF because I needed two of the subtitles to be placed at the top of the image, instead of the bottom. The ass file was made using Subtitle Edit. I had to fix some of the specs (scale and line-spacing) on DOM, which I usually always do nonetheless. Some of these specs might've been easier fixed when on Subtitle Edit, but I'm not personally using the program so I had to be a bit diligent with my requests, as I couldn't play around with it myself. I'm also not the one operating the projector in the screening room, but I am relaying the information given to me by the projectionist.

When screened, only the very first subtitle appears. There are still a few more "regular" subtitles before the top-placed one, so I don't think it's that formatting messing it up. When ingested, the VF doesn't show any error or warning whatsoever, but I was told that the movie did take longer to load than usual, when screened. When on DOM or on DOM Player, all subtitles show up as intended as well.

I've previously tried out this method with 2 other films. One of them had a similar process to this one (made the dcp myself from a pro res file), and the other had an Interop DCP sent by a distributor. With the first one, despite the subs showing up properly when previewing on DOM Player, when screened, the top one was cropped at the top (as if it was coming out of the picture). I adjusted the offset a bit, and it all worked out. With the Interop one, I couldn't make it to work, even when placing all subtitles in the middle of the screen. I figured it was because of the Interop format, as a quick search made me realise that ass. might not be a compatible format. I haven't had a chance to look that much into it yet, so it's been very much a guessing game.

I used an ass file given to me by the same person, in all three films. I also used the same computer and DOM version. The only difference between the two ProRes files mentioned is that one originated from a Bluray that I personally ripped, and the other was sent by the distributor. All three instances were done very closely to each other, hence why I haven't had time to dig much into the issue and specifics.

I'm not looking for a fix for these specific instances, but for an understanding of what is happening, so I can prevent these issues in the future. From what I've read, DOM supports ass files, but let me know if it's not the case. Any idea of what might be going on, will be a great help. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

EDIT: the DOM version I used was 2.16.35
carl
Site Admin

Re: VF subs not appearing

Post by carl »

DoM does indeed support ASS files, and should convert them correctly to the required format for DCP, but perhaps there is a bug.

Can we get hold of any of the ASS files that caused problems, and/or the VF DCPs that were made?
rosanamadalina

Post by rosanamadalina »

Hi Carl,

I believe I can get you an ass file, as well as the VF file that was made. I unfortunately can't get you the OV file. Let me know if that's a problem and, if not, to where I can send you the files. Thanks!
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

The VFs and ASS files would be a good start. You can send them to carl@dcpomatic.com if that's convenient.