Subtitles stacking on top of one another

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Haggles

Subtitles stacking on top of one another

Post by Haggles »

Hi,

I'm having an issue with the subtitles from a satellite recording. The satellite box outputs a .ts file, and the subtitles are the embedded bitmaps.

For some reason, many of them don't disappear when they should in DOM (playback is fine in VLC, etc). They just stack the next subtitle over the top of the last. They do disappear eventually.
dcpomatic2_CnH1iKQy5J.gif

The time of the subtitles shown in Subtitle Edit does not show any overlap - though the times are very close between the end of one and the beginning of another. The source file also contains blank subtitles between most of the 'real' subtitles (here the 00:51:11.786 subtitle is just a blank image), which is not something I've seen before.

SubtitleEdit_8jpszvncrj.png

I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious, or if something is misbehaving. For now, I've had to re-encode using Handbrake and burn the subtitles in there, but I'd sure like to figure things out for next time.

Btw, I'm using 2.16.79

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Subtitles stacking on top of one another

Post by carl »

This bug rings a bell but I now can't remember the details. Is it possible to send a .ts file which shows the problem?

carl@dcpomatic.com would be the best place, if so.
Haggles

Post by Haggles »

Unfortunately, the original .ts file is 28gb, so not possible to send, But if I transcode a small amount in Handbrake - without burning the subtitles in - the result is the same. So I've sent a small sample.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Thanks for the file - maybe you could test this build to see if it fixes the problem.
Haggles

Post by Haggles »

Sorry, I didn't notice the build link.

Yes, it works for me, with the source file as well as the transcoded version.

Thank you.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Thanks for checking and getting back to me, glad it works!