3D interop mpeg DCP creation

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
swiftee

3D interop mpeg DCP creation

Post by swiftee »

We are trying to make a mpeg encoded dcp for a stereo3D movie and we cant able to find
a suitable software or method to do that. Mpeg encoding is available for 2D movies in opendcp and cineasset and it is working good in our dcp server.

All dcp softwares (both open source and paid) did not support mpeg encoding in 3D mode. We are using Qube xp e server in our theater and this server only supports mpeg, interop, (24 fps or 48 fps) encoded dcps.

what we need is a software or a work flow to do this specific 3D dcp. We tried Qubemaster xpress demo version, it supports sequential 3D image sequence as input and again it encodes with jpeg2000.

We tried Cute dcp, Open dcp, Dcp o matic, Easy dcp and Cineasset for our process. But none of the above said softwares supports mpeg2 in 3D Dcp encoding.

Is there any way to convert jpeg2000 encoded dcp into mpeg dcp without any problem?

Kindly suggest a way to do this.
Carsten

Re: 3D interop mpeg DCP creation

Post by Carsten »

Frankly, I am not sure that MPEG-2 Interop EVER supported 3D. MPEG-2 is not suited for stereo applications due to it's interframe nature. I am nearly sure that the very first 3D DCPs had already been in J2K.

- Carsten
swiftee

Post by swiftee »

Thanks for your reply Carsten

I am having two movie trailers MPEg2 3D dcp (50 fps). Here i attached one screenshot of it. These dcp's plays well with Vlc media player (video only), and will not play in any DCP players.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwupYF ... sp=sharing

If you find any info regarding this, please inform me.

-swiftee
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

When I look at specs of different media blocks, I hardly ever saw 48fps capability for MPEG-2. E.g. Dolby IMB (CAT745) systems only support up to 30fps in MPEG2, but up to 120fps in J2K.

I am not saying you can't encode 50fps with MPEG-2 - it is just not very useful to encode L/R within an interframe codec.

It is possible your system supports 50fps MPEG2 hardware/decoderwise (the XP-E specs say so), but it will certainly be complicated to wrap it properly. 25fps is informally supported in IOP, but 50/stereoscopic...?
Even if the system plays it, you also need a signal path/projector that actually supports frame alternating output. And I don't see 3D being mentioned at all for the XP-E.

Wasn't there a J2k upgrade path for the Qube XP-E at some point?

As these systems are so rare now, I guess only Qube can help you.

- Carsten
swiftee

Post by swiftee »

Thanks for your answer. I also think only Qube people can able to help.

-swiftee