DCDM?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
rtX

DCDM?

Post by rtX »

I've been asked for a DCDM. I'm not sure how to make one and what it really is. Any pointers gratefully received.
scorpio81

Re: DCDM?

Post by scorpio81 »

Actually it's DKDM ;)
DKDM is a KDM for a third party KDM generation software.
The one who asked a DKDM should've sent you a certificate. Then you create a cinema and screen, add this certificate and then generate a DKDM.
Details on how to do this can be found here: http://dcpomatic.com/manual/html/ch08s0 ... dp39039024
rtX

Post by rtX »

Thanks. A search of "DCDM" reveals it is a Digital Cinema Distribution Master, whereas a DKDM is a key to an encrypyted DCP. I'm being asked for an encrypted DCP with a DKDM and a DCDM, which suggests that either they are two separate things or the distributor doesn't know what its talking about. I'm happy to go with the latter explanation as it seems quite likely in my experience, but before pointing out to them the inconsistency, I want to be sure they are actually the same thing. Are you absolutely certain? Thanks again.
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

Well, according to standard, DCDM is uncompressed .tiff images, .wav files and subtitles.
You may want to read this: https://www.smpte.org/sites/default/fil ... laydon.pdf
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

In practice, there is no strict definition for the DCDM as there is for a DCP (although SMPTE did pick up DCDM).
DCDMs are exchanged between post production software systems of very different origins, and the only common aspect of them is the idea that professionals will be able to handle the file sets delivered, and that the DCDM should contain all assets needed to convert to DCPs directly, that is, image, audio, subtitles/fonts/PNGs (if applicable).

Images is 16Bit X/Y/Z gamma 2.6 Tiff numbered image series (unpadded, no letter-/pillarboxing) in reel folders. Audio is 24Bit/48(96) KHz BWF in matching reels per file. Subtitles are XML (as DOM loads and creates). The idea is that the DCDM->DCP conversion based on these assets will need NO creative decision anymore.

As image series may contain bars and tones, it is always a good idea to add a spec sheet explaining all the assets with their names, tech specs, durations, frame/channel counts, first/last frame of action, etc. If in doubt, ask your contact.

See DCI system spec 1.2 for more details. Getting the SMPTE specs is probably too expensive for most people.

- Carsten