Subtitle bugs

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Alex Asp

Subtitle bugs

Post by Alex Asp »

Hi CARl, I found a few interesting behaviours of DOM with subtitles.

1. Usually, but not always, the position commands in srt files are ignored.
2. Double subtitle lines with position commands are not shown in the DCP when subtitles imported as XML files are burned in. To force the subtitles to appear one needs to split the lines. Then each each separate line appears properly on the screen. Not a biggy when you do trailers, but for feature films its a pain in the butt.
3. When applying a bold font for all variations (Normal, Bold and Italic) for burned-in subtitles, the subtitles appear in a normal weight, not bold.
Applying a bold command on a srt or xml file rectifies the situation.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Subtitle bugs

Post by carl »

1. Usually, but not always, the position commands in srt files are ignored.

2. Double subtitle lines with position commands are not shown in the DCP when subtitles imported as XML files are burned in. To force the subtitles to appear one needs to split the lines. Then each each separate line appears properly on the screen. Not a biggy when you do trailers, but for feature films its a pain in the butt.
Have you got example .srt files that trigger these problems?
3. When applying a bold font for all variations (Normal, Bold and Italic) for burned-in subtitles, the subtitles appear in a normal weight, not bold.
Applying a bold command on a srt or xml file rectifies the situation.
This may be difficult to get around as I think the font selection code will know that DoM is asking for a normal font and will provide one even if it has to substitute a system one instead of the bold ones you have provided.
Alex Asp

Post by Alex Asp »

Here's the file
THE_LEOPARD_ORIGINAL_ITALIAN_TRAILER-Carl.xml
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Have you got the .srt file that you made that from?
Alex Asp

Post by Alex Asp »

Here
THE_LEOPARD_ORIGINAL_ITALIAN_TRAILER-Carl.srt.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

As far as I can see the position commands (\an8) are not valid SubRip: they are from the ASS spec. See the discussion here. What program did you make the .srt in?
Alex Asp

Post by Alex Asp »

its SubtitleEdit from http://www.nikse.dk
One of the best there is. If only it worked natively on Mac OS

Well, the commands are used in xml files and are interpreted properly, but only on one-liners. Double lines are no go.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Which one-liners have positional commands that are interpreted properly? Can you give me subtitle number(s) from the subrip file?
Alex Asp

Post by Alex Asp »

Lines 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

So you see subtitles at the top of the screen on these lines? When I load that .srt into DCP-o-matic it puts, say, line 21 at the bottom of the screen; i.e. it never parses {\an8}.