decoding DKDM !!!

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
kmeh7

decoding DKDM !!!

Post by kmeh7 »

Hi Carl and Scorpion81,

I am still a bit confused about DKDM thing.

Can you guys please explain a bit more clearly about DKDM (HOW TO MAKE IT, ITS STORAGE, ITS REUSE, ITS BACKUP (may be example or simplified way).
I mean i can do as directed by manual but want to thoroughly understand it, want to have a clearer picture. Its an important tool and i am frustrated with myself for not getting it right.

I made a Encrypted DCP and will need to make DKDMs. I exported DKDM from DCPOMATIC and was successfully able to see it in DCPomatic's KDM Creator (other standalone ). Now please explain me few things.

1. Can i delete the original dcp ? what is safe practice ?
2. I Could no find config.xml on my mac machine at place specified by dcpomatic
3. What should i keep in mind if i delete dcpomatic and reinstall it (i might need to format the machine)
4. When i export the DKDM from DCPOMATIC , where should i look for it to take its backup ?
5. DKDM exported by DPCOMATIC on my machine , what information does it carry ?

Sorry for asking so many question i am just confused. I just want to have clear understanding of the DKDM and its functioning so that i can use it to its max potential .

Simplified Language with extra information will be of great help !!! Anything that helps me to clear the fundas of the DKDM is welcome.

thanks again

kmeh7
Carsten

Re: decoding DKDM !!!

Post by Carsten »

I can only say that you DO have to fight to understand the encryption/certificate issue properly.
Without some struggling, and trying, you will not really understand it.

The good thing ist, a DKDM is the same thing as a KDM, so, using two installations of DCP-o-matic, you can simulate most aspects of DCP encryption and decryption.

Carl - I assume DOMs certificate database is user based, so, with different users on a system with their separate prefs, every user initially will have it's own certificate/key chain (leaf)?

- Carsten
kmeh7

Post by kmeh7 »

Ok i get it. But I need help with something.

I created encypted dcp on 1st machine in my studio, which might need formatting. So i want to make a DKDM for 2nd machine in same studio . Afterthat i can generate all further KDMs or DKDMs from 2nd machine.

Any Ideas ????

Thanks
KMeh7
kmeh7

Post by kmeh7 »

Ok things are making sense. As you said earlier, KDM generated with leaf cert. acts same as KDM And DKDM.

How to make sure which one is leaf cert from the set?

Thanks

Kmeh7
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Carl - I assume DOMs certificate database is user based, so, with different users on a system with their separate prefs, every user initially will have it's own certificate/key chain (leaf)?
That's right.
How to make sure which one is leaf cert from the set?
Are they in separate files?