Using the Processor Upmixing Function

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
AntBen91

Using the Processor Upmixing Function

Post by AntBen91 »

Greetings!

Does anyone successfully use the upmixing function on DOM? Everytime I select it and map the channels I get this static or crackling sound coming out of our sound system.

Can anyone guide me on properly using the Processor function on the DCP settings? I'm trying to take a mono sound signal and make it into a 5.1 signal per the Processor upmixing.

Thanks in advance!
carl
Site Admin

Re: Using the Processor Upmixing Function

Post by carl »

First of all: don't get your hopes up. The upmixer is not great even with stereo sources, so I would expect a mono one to give poor results.

Apart from that, there shouldn't be static or crackling. Can you send me the metadata.xml file from the project which you have made? (carl@dcpomatic.com)
Eriksson

Post by Eriksson »

I tried the upmix once on a 2 channel feature I almost certain knew was Prologic encoded. I think I used the second upmix option.
The result sounded exactly like old fashioned 35mm analog Dolby Stereo with a good soundhead and a well tuned CP65 :D (If anyone remembers what that was)
It can be a very useful option if you use it right. I don´t think it´s intended for making fake multichannel stereo from mono (or´'normal' stereo for that matter).
/M.E.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

The result sounded exactly like old fashioned 35mm analog Dolby Stereo with a good soundhead and a well tuned CP65 :D (If anyone remembers what that was)
That's a rather charming thing to hear about :)