I am not making subtitles correctly...only ugly...

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
IntMarine

I am not making subtitles correctly...only ugly...

Post by IntMarine »

Hi.
I can make .xml file subtitles that appear all over the screen, exactly where I place them, one line, two line, no problem, bright magenta, just as I wish.

But I just cannot seem to conquer the font well.

In the xml the font UUID references a Cochin.ttf font that I renamed with the UUID.otf – that .otf file is in the same Mac directory as the the xml file.
Very Ugly.
Blind_jag.png
I then added the step, in DOM, highlighting the subtitle file, click on Fonts and referring everything to the ttf – also in the directory with the xml and also named with the UUID but ending with .ttf
The DOM preview looks great. Even this screen shot looks better than it does in reality. I've tried it in 2k and 4k with the same result.

I've attached the xml in case someone wants to tell me the obvious thing that I am overlooking.

The DCP is available (use the code QA_b4_QC) at:
http://www.cinematesttools.com/index.ph ... /xkcd1080/

Appreciating any assistance. CJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carl
Site Admin

Re: I am not making subtitles correctly...only ugly...

Post by carl »

To be clear: these subtitles aren't being burnt in by DoM?

Have you tried without specifying a font (so it uses Arial)? How is the rendering then?
IntMarine

Post by IntMarine »

Correct: these are being generated by the projector...I hesitate to say which so I don't damage anyone's good Belge reputation.

Thanks for the idea – should have thought of it myself. PS – I have no doubt that I am doing something wrong.

I'll give it a try at two facilities Friday and Saturday. cjf
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

OK, let us know how you get on. Perhaps it's something about the font that the projector doesn't like...