Retrospectively adding subtitles to an existing DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
rtX

Retrospectively adding subtitles to an existing DCP

Post by rtX »

I have been given an xml file of French subtitles for a film I made, the heading of which looks like this:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!-- *** XML Subtitle File Generated By Ayato*** -->
<!-- *** Created by  *** -->
<!-- *** Creation Date 24/09/2016 *** -->
<!-- *** FFP = 00:00:00.00 Running Speed = 24fps *** -->
<DCSubtitle Version="1.0">
	<!--frame rate 24-->
	<!--RowMax = 23-->
	<!--Tick = -1-->
	<SubtitleID>00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000</SubtitleID>
	<MovieTitle>ABCD_STFR</MovieTitle>
	<ReelNumber>1</ReelNumber>
	<Language>French</Language>
	<LoadFont Id="arial" URI="arial.ttf"/>
	<Font Id="arial" Color="FFFFFFFF" Effect="border" EffectColor="FF000000" Italic="no" Script="normal" Size="35" AspectAdjuste="1" Undelined="no" Weight="normal" Spacing="0em">
		<Subtitle SpotNumber="1" TimeIn="00:01:25:187" TimeOut="00:01:27:114" FadeUpTime="0" FadeDownTime="0">
			<Text HAlign="center" VAlign="top" VPosition="90">CONTES DE FÉES</Text>
		</Subtitle>
I've substituted text that may be sensitive (the subtitle ID and the Movie Title).

I had provided a French festival with an encrypted DCP I made using DCP-o-Matic. They obtained the subtitles from another festival that had translated it. Is there any way I can add these subtitles to the existing DCP retrospectively - without re-creating it with a new encryption? Ideally, as they already have the DCP, I'd like to be able to do this remotely, but realise that may be a tall order. The problem is they are supposed to be screening the film in a few days time. Needless to say they didn't advise they intended to add subtitles until yesterday, but I'd still like to help, if at all possible.

Any pointers gratefully received.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Retrospectively adding subtitles to an existing DCP

Post by carl »

I haven't fully thought this through, but I think you could create a VF DCP in DCP-o-matic with the subs, then send them that to play. I'm not sure whether their existing KDM will work to decrypt the assets on the encrypted OV if you provide an unencrypted VF though.

The way I'm thinking is

1. import the encrypted DCP to a new DCP-o-matic project and add a KDM (you may need to create a DKDM for DCP-o-matic first)
2. choose "refer to existing" for video/audio.
3. add the subs and make a new DCP
4. sent them this DCP via email...

The KDM thing might scupper you though; you might need a new KDM targeted at the new CPL and with the keys for the assets from the OV.
rtX

Post by rtX »

It might be easier to create a whole new DCP with the xml subtitle file, and re-send that, I think? I only say that as I am unsure about some of the terms and would still have to upload the new DCP. I'm unsure they'll get it in time, but I can only try, I guess. Thanks for the suggestion, Carl.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

It might be easier, sure. The advantage of doing it the way I suggest is that the DCP you would have to send would be very small (just containing the subtitles as text, so a few Kb probably).

If you need more detailed instructions, let us know.
sup

Post by sup »

BTW, I created my first DCP with DCP-o-Matic a few days ago. Today I decided to test its subtitles creation. It all went well but a new DCP actually got created without reencoding). Is there a way that the subtitles would be added to the existing DCP so all the files would not have to get duplicated?
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

Please read the 2nd post in this thread. It describes exactly what you want.
sup

Post by sup »

Indeed. I actually read it but misunderstood it, this seems to work, I think, thanks.