Could not load KDM (document not well formed)

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
fable

Could not load KDM (document not well formed)

Post by fable »

Hi,

I'm having trouble adding KDM to an encrypted DCP:

The DCP material is encrypted (the certificate previously was exported from DCP-O-MATIC) and the appliction name was also sent to the lab that created the DCP.
I was sent three files all with the extension: .zzz.
When I'm trying to add one of the files with "add KDM", DCP-O-MATIC says it could not load (see subject). I tried renaming the files to XML to no avail.

Could someone explain me the problem? Should I contact the lab?

Thank you.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Could not load KDM (document not well formed)

Post by carl »

Hi there,
It sounds like the XML files have perhaps been corrupted somehow, or maybe DCP-o-matic is reading them incorrectly. Could you send them to me? carl@dcpomatic.com
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Hi,
Those files are empty ZIP files, so something has gone wrong between the lab and you. They are only 22 bytes long... is that how they arrived?
fable

Post by fable »

Hello,
Yes, as email attachments. Judging by the look of the emails they were generated by an application.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

OK in that case you do need to get onto the lab.
fable

Post by fable »

Ok, I will report back once I have news.

Thanks.
cloud06

Post by cloud06 »

Labs are sending .zzz files most of the time, because SPAM filters block ZIP in email. Just change extension to ZIP, and unzipit like normal. I do it daily and it works :)
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

We receive hundreds of KDMs per year, from german as well as international 'labs' (like Motion Picture Solutions, Technicolor, Deluxe, ARRI, YMAGIS, etc.). I have never seen a zzz file, they are all ZIP.

A spam filter lies in the recipients responsibility. If the account he chooses to receive KDMs doesn't accept ZIP files, he is in big trouble. It would also be a very weak spam filter if it would only look at the file extension.

- Carsten
cloud06

Post by cloud06 »

Carsten wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:36 pm We receive hundreds of KDMs per year, from german as well as international 'labs' (like Motion Picture Solutions, Technicolor, Deluxe, ARRI, YMAGIS, etc.). I have never seen a zzz file, they are all ZIP.

A spam filter lies in the recipients responsibility. If the account he chooses to receive KDMs doesn't accept ZIP files, he is in big trouble. It would also be a very weak spam filter if it would only look at the file extension.

- Carsten
I received .zzz files mosty from Eclair and Technicolor. They just need to be renamed to ZIP to work. This is the note I got from Technicolor last time:
Please note that DKDMs are sent as 3 different files:
- XML => all DKDM files separate
- ZIP => all DKDM files in a compressed file
- ZZZ => ZIP with renamed extension.
So, as you can see, Technicolor does send .zzz. And their explanation for this is SPAM filters. Many times, DKDM will be sent to distributor (and forwarded to lab) and then spam filters will have great impact.

Also, I would not call spam filters that use extension bad. For example, EXE attachment with .ABC extension would not be executable on Windows without changing extension. That would make it much harder to use file for something malicious. It is common way for SPAM filters to work.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

That is rather strange, for what reason would they send ZIP files to some locations, but zzz files to others? What country are you experiencing this in?

- Carsten