Hard Drive Format for DCP Delivery?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Carsten

Re: Hard Drive Format for DCP Delivery?

Post by Carsten »

Could be the GUID issue. You need to force OS X into MBR partition scheme. The OS X hard disc utility GUI changed a bit over the recent OS X versions. Usually, MBR is hidden near the 'erase' option. Windows and OS X usually create a protective MBR when partitioning a drive with GUID/GPT. That confuses some/most servers. Actually, the 515/510 machines/servers destroy the NTFS partition on these drives within seconds of mounting, nice for a last minute festival entry...
The only way to prevent this is to first mount the drive on a desktop machine to copy the content or check the partition scheme.

I am not a fan of the paragon tools.

For my local use, I prefer NTFS, created with Tuxera NTFS. It's the same as NTFS-3G, but much faster (commercial version). Some Mac dedicated Toshiba portable drives come with it, and, once installed, it operates on all your NTFS drives. But even their shop price isn't too bad.

- Carsten
Cantar4

Post by Cantar4 »

That was it, here is the step by step procedure:
First, use the standard macOS Disk Utility, activate the ERASE top button,
enter a Name, format FAT32, scheme MBR (not the default GUID), and click Erase
(this totally eliminates the former partionning of the disk or key).
Then go to System Preferences, activate the [NTFS for MacOS] Paragon** icon,
select the disk or key, click [Erase (Format)] and select [Windows NT Filesystem (NTFS)].

** I guess these instructions would be the same for Tuxera...
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

My company just released a Mac product called DCP Transfer which solves the issue of formatting ext drives for delivery on a Mac. While it's only available for Mac right now, we're probably going to be doing a Windows version soon.

We use Paragon's ExtFS filesystem driver (Paragon is installed with our app) and format the drive with according to the ISDCF guidelines: exactly 1 MBR partition, ext2 filesystem, and non-standard inode size of 128. It's designed to be very simple, and usable by folks who aren't technical at all.

Here's the overview video: https://youtu.be/NftjF4jFZVc

Disclaimer: I run Cinematiq the company that sells DCP Transfer.