KDM Creator doesn't creates KDMs

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Ikram

KDM Creator doesn't creates KDMs

Post by Ikram »

Hello everyone!
I had several DKDMs in KDM Creator and they worked well. After reinstalled DOM, I lost all my data, preferences etc. I added all DKDMs in KDM Creator and now it doesn't creates KDMs. I saved all DKDMs but didn't save DCP projects and can't create new DKDMs. Please help me to fix this problem.
Carsten

Re: KDM Creator doesn't creates KDMs

Post by Carsten »

If it is as you say, that is, project metadata lost, and initial DOM certificates lost/reset, you are out of luck.

- Carsten
Ikram

Post by Ikram »

Hi Carsten!
Is there are no way to do something? Maybe change certificate number in DKDM or something else?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Are you sure you have no backup of your previous installation?

Maybe we should add a tutorial about what to do and what to do not when starting with encryption. Re-Installs with lost certificates must be avoided/backed up by preferences backups or certificate exports when you start doing encrypted DCPs.

Yes, I guess we need a tutorial. Maybe also a nag box that pops up in DCP-o-matic with a hint to this tutorial when you select the 'encryption' check box.

The problem is, people are able to follow instructions to create encrypted DCPs, but that doesn't mean they have all implications in their head at all times. You need to backup your certificates the way you backup/secure pins for your bank account. Even more so, since you may be able to keep a PIN or mail account password in your head, but not a certificate. By the way, on a Mac, it is easy to drop certificates in your OS X keychain for later reference. If you keep your keychain, you can look up certificates later as well. I guess there are similar tools for windows and linux.

Whatever - the first thing you have to do when starting encryption is to recreate, then export and backup your DOM certificates. And better keep all your projects metadata.

Again, if it is exactly as you say, there is no help.

- Carsten
Ikram

Post by Ikram »

Carsten, thank you!

No I don't have backup. And now I backed up all certificates from "Preferences-Keys" tab, also I backed up Cinemas.xml & Preferences.xml files from Library.
I found one of the projects and recreated one DCP. And now I have to recreate others.))

Yes, it will be very helpful if you can add tutorial, because it is very important to save all these files.

And if in the future I have the same problem, what I have to do to replace the backed up certificates?
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

Hi, Ikram.

In case you have reinstalled DCP-o-matic, replace cinemas.xml and preferences.xml with your backed up ones. I do this myself if I have to and everything's fine.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Maybe we should add a tutorial about what to do and what to do not when starting with encryption. Re-Installs with lost certificates must be avoided/backed up by preferences backups or certificate exports when you start doing encrypted DCPs.

Yes, I guess we need a tutorial. Maybe also a nag box that pops up in DCP-o-matic with a hint to this tutorial when you select the 'encryption' check box.
Agreed; I've made a note in http://dcpomatic.com/mantis/view.php?id=1066