Successful multichannel audio playback in DOM

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Carsten

Successful multichannel audio playback in DOM

Post by Carsten »

Today, I connected my Macbook to our Alchemy ICMP through DisplayPort (HDMI would work the same). I was able to play a 7.1 DCP to the individual 8 audio input channels of the ICMP, and from there through AES to our cinema sound system. Channels 1-6 would immediately be mapped from DCP channels 1-6 1:1, for the BackSurrounds, I had to map DCP input channel 11/12 to 7 and 8 (HI/VI). Displayport and HDMI will only support 8 channels, while DCP back surrounds usually are on channels 11/12, so a mapping is needed.

This worked nicely without much fuzz. My Macbook also offers a nice multichannel setup through audio/midi configuration in case tweaks are needed:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-08-01 um 20.43.44.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2017-08-01 um 20.43.44.jpg (71.72 KiB) Viewed 3895 times
I know this will encourage people to hope for a full fledged DCP player in DCP-omatic (or as a separate app). Carl has to comment on that, but I feel this won't happen soon. So, it's nice to have multichannel audio for audio preview, but don't expect this feature to be an indicator. If you need a DCP player now, buy one.

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Re: Successful multichannel audio playback in DOM

Post by carl »

It turned out to be quite an easy hack to multithread the playback, so making a standalone player (albeit not a very good one) may now be hard to resist!