Some suggestions for subtitles

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
cloud06

Some suggestions for subtitles

Post by cloud06 »

Hello everyone!

I have few suggestions for handling subtitles:

- It would be great if we could "jump" to subtitle timecodes clicking on timecode values of the subtitles (after clicking button "view" for subtitles) - it would make checking subtitles much easier - for example do we see all special characters as we should
- maybe an option do define default font file for subtitles
- aslo, generally it would be great to have option to jump to entered timecode, so we can go precise to some timecode, without imprecise scrolling
- option to have two SRTs - for example I had one SRT for subtitles, and other for translation of the burned-in graphics. Second one needed to be positioned higher so that it doesn't overlay translation subtitles. Right now this is not possible to do in DCP-o-matic, because when moving one SRT "layer" upper in the frame, it kinda deletes the other subs - looks like some bug

Also, what format of the subs would enable to position subtitles in the frame? For example when I have burned in graphics. What subtitle format would enable translators to specify position of the title on screen?

Thanks!
Carsten

Re: Some suggestions for subtitles

Post by Carsten »

Having multiple SRT displayed at the same time at least used to work before. I can't test it right now, but you should make sure you have not ticked the 'arrange content in sequence' checkbox in timeline view when adding subs. You should still always be able to adjust start time for each file under 'Timing', that way arranging them as parallel tracks. Each track/file can have individual display parameters.

Positioning is possible with every type of subtitle file.

As for the jump to timecode/subtitle - we discussed having more options for subtitles (incl. list editor) before - however, it means much work, and doing that sort of thing is probably better spent in a dedicated subtitle editor. That said, it probably is not too complicated to implement a basic 'jump to'.

GoTo timecode in the preview window - yes, e.g. by double clicking on the position indicator. Most of the time, I do stills or trailers and the preview slider is enough, but yes, for full length features, a GoToTC is useful, especially since the frame advance/backward buttons often play tricks on me.

- Carsten
cloud06

Re: Some suggestions for subtitles

Post by cloud06 »

Carsten wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:31 pm Having multiple SRT displayed at the same time at least used to work before. I can't test it right now, but you should make sure you have not ticked the 'arrange content in sequence' checkbox in timeline view when adding subs. You should still always be able to adjust start time for each file under 'Timing', that way arranging them as parallel tracks. Each track/file can have individual display parameters.

Positioning is possible with every type of subtitle file.
This is the way I tried to do. But what happened is that when moving one subtitle file in upper part of the screen, it seems like this other one is "erasing", like there is invisible layer under one subtitle that deletes the other one.