5.1 Audio Channel DCP Query

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Guddu

5.1 Audio Channel DCP Query

Post by Guddu »

I am trying to create a 5.1 Audio Channel DCP.

When I add my video file in the DCP-O-Matic program, I can see the channel assignment happening automatically. (image attached).

But when i open the same video file in VLC Player and see the codec information, I see only 3 Tracks (image attached).

My question is - " How is the DCP o matic program interpreting the channel assignment for such a video file?"

Please guide.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carsten

Re: 5.1 Audio Channel DCP Query

Post by Carsten »

This video contains 3 separate audio streams, each with their own channel assignment. The first stream is a 5.1, the second and third are both stereo. VLC displays the same information as DCP-o-matic, but does not allow to access individual channels, but switch between streams only (e.g. languages, commentary, etc.).
Default for DCP-o-matic after import of new content is to preassign the first stream in the matrix, but you may override that and assign channels from stream 2 or 3. Make yourself familiar with the difference between file, stream, and channel. Stream could be eng(stereo) or fr(ac3). Channel could be L or R, or C, LFE, Ls/Rs.

3F2R/LFE means a 5.1 stream - 3 front (L/C/R), 2 rear (Ls/Rs)+ LFE ( or subwoofer, if you want to call it that way)

You probably know that commercial DVDs or Blurays typically contain multiple audio streams for different languages, commentary, visual narration, etc. The same is true for different subtitle languages. In DOM, you have access to all these streams, and you need to make up your mind which of them you want to use for the DCP. Actually, you can even mix audio channels of different streams in the matrix - but that is to be used for very special applications.

Some people use the term 'track' to indicate streams, some people use it for channels. It's important to understand the difference, though.

- Carsten