H.264 Export

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
rahmani

H.264 Export

Post by rahmani »

Hi
I am using DOM ver 2.11.24 on win OS. After exporting a DCP to MP4 file the colors was not correct as you see below but I had to export to Pro res with more time and more slower speed but the output was correct. Would you please give some advice regarding this issue?

Regard's
Soleyman
21good 1-21.jpg
21good 1-21.jpg (184.83 KiB) Viewed 12482 times
21 1-21.jpg
21 1-21.jpg (205.21 KiB) Viewed 12482 times
Carsten

Re: H.264 Export

Post by Carsten »

Carl needs to fix this in the code, there is nothing you can do, except give 2.11.27 a try.

- Carsten
rahmani

Post by rahmani »

Could you please advice me how to Upgrade to 2.11.27 without losing my KDM for previous films and DCP's and also keep the same certificates.
I don't want to send new certificate to the film companies after update and also want to keep KDM's Valid for DCPs.

Thank you very much for your reply.
Soleyman
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I don't think you will lose anything while upgrading from .22 to .27. Currently the only issue I saw is when going back from 2.11.xx (Test) to 2.10.5 (stable).

But no matter wether you are upgrading, downgrading or not, if you are using encrypted content, KDM, etc., you should ALWAYS have full backups of all system files, cinemas/screens,certificates etc. stored in safe places. Best is to not only backup config.xml, but also create individual backup files of all certificates and private keys, and give them proper names (like 'leaf', 'root', intermediate'), so you can identify them properly.

- Carsten
rahmani

Post by rahmani »

Thank you for your explanation what is the difference between (leaf, root and intermediate) in signing DCP and KDM and (leaf, root and intermediate) in decrypting KDMs part? which of them should be imported or added to updated version for keeping KDM and DCP valid?

Regard's
Soleyman
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

The certificates for signing are not SO important. Certs for decryption and private key are very important for KDMs and DKDMs to work.

BUT you should still backup all of them. The good thing is, you only need to do this once, so pay some attention to that, and keep them in a safe place. They are so small, all ZIPed in a folder, that you can easily store them in multiple places, e.g. cloud storage, email account, etc.

It is a good idea to create a reference DCP in encrypted form, and a DKDM for your own DCP-o-matic installation. The reference DCP only needs to be very short, from a still, etc. You should keep it in the same place you store your certs/keys backup.

If you think something is wrong, or you are unsafe after an update, just load that DCP into DOM, and attach the DKDM to it. If that works - you are okay. If it doesn't, you may have to restore your original certs and keys.

If you are in windows, you could also switch to a different user, every user has it's own set of config files. However, if you start a DOM release that trashes your config with your main user, that won't help. If have only seen this pref trashing in OS X between 2.10.5 and the test releases following this. Never before. However, you shouldn't depend on that if you work with encrypted DCPs and KDMs/DKDMs. Backup, back up ba ckup bac kup ...

- Carsten
rahmani

Post by rahmani »

Carsten wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:14 pm Carl needs to fix this in the code, there is nothing you can do, except give 2.11.27 a try.

- Carsten
Thank you for new version. I tried DOM ver. 2.11.27 for H.264 export format but, still we get colors in wrong phase. Can you restore the codes for color conversion matrix to the older version the same as e.g. 2.11.10?

Regard's
Soleyman
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Hmm, strange, I don't get this partial desaturation, neither in OS X nor in the WIN version. Are you sure your MP4 player isn't causing this problem? What happens if you reload the exported MP4 into DOM again - does the preview show the same problem?

- Carsten
Anders M Olsson

Post by Anders M Olsson »

Carsten wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:28 am Hmm, strange, I don't get this partial desaturation, neither in OS X nor in the WIN version. Are you sure your MP4 player isn't causing this problem? What happens if you reload the exported MP4 into DOM again - does the preview show the same problem?

- Carsten
I don't see it as a saturation problem. To me it looks more like all the colors have been moved down a bit from their correct position.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Yes, maybe that is what happened. I don't think this is a DCP-o-matic issue. One would need access to this source footage and project file to find out. My own MP4 exports look normal.

- Carsten