My subtitles don't play

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
EditedByThomas

My subtitles don't play

Post by EditedByThomas »

Hi

I edited my first short film in FCPX, and exported it to a Wraptor DCP. This file works fine in the cinema (using a Linux system) where I tried it, and loads without a problem in DCP-o-matic. But... My subtitles don't play.

I have a working srt-file, which in coverted to an xml using this famous page: http://www.michaelcinquin.com/tools/DCP/DCP_subtitling
After putting the xml in the DCP map, they don't play in a cinema.

When I open the DCP in DCP-o-matic, it plays, and after I 'add a file' and select the xml, the subtitles play too. But I don't know if they should play by themselves, without selecting them first?

Is it as easy as putting the xml in the DCP map, and go? Because, it doesn't work...

Next thing I'm going to try is make a new DCP file with DCP-o-matic from my master video with the srt loaded in. But I expect this to work in DCP-o-matic, but am afraid they - again - won't play in the cinema.

Any tips? Suggestions? Am I doing something wrong? I'm a total zero concerning all this technical things.
Carsten

Re: My subtitles don't play

Post by Carsten »

I am not sure if I understand what you did, but so much for sure - you can not simply put subtitle xml files into the DCP folder and expect them to play. They need to be authored using a suitable application (like DOM). Typically you would load a DCP into Dom, then add the subtitle file, then create a version file. This will result in two CPLs - the original one that plays without the subtitles, and the new VF CPL that plays with subtitles. There are other ways ( e.g. burning in the subtitles into the images).

- Carsten