DCP Playback - Missing Audio

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Carsten

Re: DCP Playback - Missing Audio

Post by Carsten »

Okay, I just tried to do what you want to achieve, using the short BigBuckBunny Trailer. I created an unencrypted DCP with timed text (from a simple srt subtitle file). This unencrypted DCP can be played in DCP-o-matic player with subtitles, and subtitles are displayed when imported into DCP-o-matic. When I create a new project, import the subtitled unencrypted DCP, check 'use subtitles', then check the 'encrypted' checkbox, I can create an encrypted DCP with timed text (subtitle + font folder).
After I created a DKDM for this DCP, I can open this encrypted subtitled DCP both in DCP-o-matic, as well as in DCP-o-matic player (both demand the DKDM to be assigned before it is displayed). However, only DCP-o-matic (main application) will show the subtitle in preview. The standalone player will not display the subtitles of the encrypted DCP. Maybe a bug in the standalone player.

I also tried to create an encrypted DCP from the subtitled unencrypted DCP, using the 'burn in' checkbox, but that doesn't work - instead, an encrypted DCP without any subtitles (neither timed text, nor burn-in) is created, within a few seconds (as for burn-in, the image has to be reencoded, it should need much more time). For some reason, burn-in doesn't seem to work here.

Using 2.11.34

Edit - second attempt worked. Before I created the burnt-in encrypted DCP, I deleted the video.mxf in the video folder that was there from the previous encoding, forcing DCP-o-matic to recreate the video file. Maybe the burn-in checkbox in this case does not force re-encoding. Maybe a bug. I probably had been successful right away if I did not choose to create an encrypted timed-text version first, but burn-in immediately.

So, basically, it works. When you create the encrypted DCP with burnt-in subtitles, you will see that some portions of the DCP creation run through very quickly (frames without subs are simply copied), while others take more time (frames with subs need to be reencoded and reencrypted).
After I created another DKDM for this DCP, it would play, and of course with the burn-in subtitles shown, both in standalone player as well as DCP-o-matic main application.

The DCP you create this way is standalone - you don't need to combine it with other files. Of course, if you create another encrypted, non-subtitled version, you use up twice the space. A method to avoid that is to use the OV/VF approach, but that doesn't work with burn-in subtitles.

I also suggest you use BigBuckBunny as a prototype to get used to the workflow before you try it with a full length feature.

- Carsten
Guddu

Post by Guddu »

Thanks...Off to BigBuckBunny . . . It's going to be a long night. Will report back the results. :D
Guddu

Post by Guddu »

Cartsen, Is there a way to force a font? I can always specify arial.ttf in my xml but how do I add it to my DCP? I reckon that the Add Files button is only for Video, Images, Sound and Subtitles.
Guddu

Post by Guddu »

OK...So I figuerd out how to add a font. Opening a new topic with my observations/issues.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

DOM uses a standard system font and automatically adds it to the timed-text DCP subtitle folders. You can force another font under the subtitle tab.

- Carsten