Unable to ingest VF DCP with subs

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
p0mian

Unable to ingest VF DCP with subs

Post by p0mian »

Hello. I'm trying to make VF DCP with SMPTE subtitles. I tried from srt and from xml file. English subtitles but with Polish charts like: ąęńć in names. While ingesting I get an error: Failed to create essence file. Server Doremi2k4. Current version of dom. I tried with different fonts or even by importing mxf with subtitles created in online creator - same effect. OV DCP is ok and created with same version of dom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carsten

Re: Unable to ingest VF DCP with subs

Post by Carsten »

Your Doremi is on 2.8.16 - from 2.8.18 release notes:

----
• Fixed an error where the server did not extract SMPTE timedtext (as in subtitles/captions) from the Material Exchange Format (MXF) file that was incorrectly created using the same universally unique identifier (UUID) for the MXF file and the main eXtensible Markup Language inside the MXF files. [DCPLYR‐3418]
----

Maybe that is something that Carl can fix in DCP-o-matic, but your two options for now are:

- Use Interop (my general advice for the time being)
- Update the Doremi to 2.8.18

There is also a patch for 2.8.16 which addresses the same problem which has been fixed in 2.8.18:

2017/07/24 Newhotfix ingestc_timedtext-1.0.1.pkg for IMS2000, DCP2000, DCP2K4, and IMB/ShowVault running Software 2.8.16

Maybe try to digup and install this hotfix first?

Yes, it is as well possible that the issue you have is with the polish chars. I would try to analyze the issue by creating a simple Interop OV with these titles, then vary from there. Did you know you can create a fully working DCP from a subtitle file alone? Just add a subtitle file to a project and hit 'Make DCP'. DCP-o-matic will create the subtitles with black background and silent audio within seconds. Set to stereo to save space and transfer time. But first, try the timedtext hotfix!

- Carsten
p0mian

Post by p0mian »

Carsten wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:45 pm was incorrectly created using the same universally unique identifier (UUID) for the MXF file and the main eXtensible Markup Language inside the MXF files.
If that's it I think I can workaround this bug but what with other servers? I don't think that other cinemas will do updates to servers only from reason of my DCP :(
InterOp is impossible because footage is 25fps.

If it is real same UUID it will be great to consider possible fix in DOM :)

I will be experimenting with some subs and my Doremi serwer after next weekend. Maybe I will find an answer. I'm going to keep current doremi release for some time to investigate problem.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Perhaps you could test 2.11.55 which will be available in the next few hours. Let me know if recreating your VF with 2.11.55 does not fix your problem...
p0mian

Post by p0mian »

carl wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:25 am 2.11.55 does not fix your problem...
unfortunately same error with 2.11.55 :( :( :(
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Can you send me the sub_xxx.mxf file from your DCP? carl@dcpomatic.com
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

p0mian wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:32 pm If that's it I think I can workaround this bug but what with other servers? I don't think that other cinemas will do updates to servers only from reason of my DCP :(
InterOp is impossible because footage is 25fps.
Interop in 25fps is safe nowadays. The only server that chokes about 25fps is the Dolby DSS100/DSP100, and that will choke over 25 fps both in Interop and SMPTE.

Of course, better is to create a 24fps version in interop.

The trouble actually still is that if you want to distribute SMPTE, you depend on servers in the field to support SMPTE. While this particular case may be fixable through DCP-o-matic, I would still advise not to distribute SMPTE lightheartedly. SMPTE has only been tested in some limited markets, and the results of these tests have been reported back to the mastering studios as well, so that they can adjust the software and DCP parameters to the problems they saw in the field - that Doremi hotfix and update is a result of this process. Other issues still arise when SMPTE/MXF wrapped subs are encrypted. This will take a while, but the only outcome is to update server software.

As there is an 'official' note, upgrade package and hotfix for Doremis, it may even be wise to proceed with this package, and advise cinemas to update their software. You could even place the Doremi upgrade/notification and hotfix on the disc ;-) Of course, only when you are sure that it fixes the issue.

- Carsten
p0mian

Post by p0mian »

carl wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:34 pm Can you send me the sub_xxx.mxf file from your DCP? carl@dcpomatic.com
I attached it in the first post in this thread in zip file.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Is that created with 2.11.55?
p0mian

Post by p0mian »

hmm... I'm think no. Here is v55:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.