HDMI Multichannel Playback

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
scozz76

HDMI Multichannel Playback

Post by scozz76 »

Has anyone managed to get multichannel playback via HDMI on a Win10 machine?

Multichannel works fine within windows (5.1 or 7.1) but DOM Player mixes it down to LR only.
I've tried changing the preferences between default and, in my case, Denon AVR (NVIDIA). No luck, still 2 channel.

Is it possible to point the software towards ASIO drivers? I'm forced to use ASIO4ALL with some Adobe software.
Carsten

Re: HDMI Multichannel Playback

Post by Carsten »

I have done it successfully with DCP-o-matic main app, but didn't try the recent player versions. I noticed that sometimes it is complicated to force an HDMI connection into 5.1 or 7.1 mode. When I connect a 7.1 HDMI audio interface to a computer, very often it is only seen as a 2ch interface. When I connect it to a Bluray Player, it is seen as 7.1. No idea why that happens
I have a cheap 7.1 USB interface as well, which doesn't show that behaviour.

I assume that you have configured your standard audio device to 5.1 in windows sound settings? I think you need to do that when using the system sound device from within DCP-o-matic. That said, I think Carl recently changed some bits around the downmixing, maybe this is a collateral issue. I'll do some testing.

- Carsten
scozz76

Post by scozz76 »

Win10 is configured for 5.1 and the channel check works as it should - DOM is still 2ch. ASIO drivers are used for Premiere Pro to get multichannel monitoring.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Looks as if you are right - I see downmixing only in both DCP-o-matic main and player. Will do some more tests with recent versions.

- Carsten