Optimum Audio Level

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Guddu

Optimum Audio Level

Post by Guddu »

Upon analyzing the audio of a 5.1 DUB that we received, I see the graph as in the image at http://prntscr.com/l7trwa

Are these volume levels ok or would i need to tweak them (+/-)?
carl
Site Admin

Re: Optimum Audio Level

Post by carl »

I'd drop them by at least 10dB, possibly a little more.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Sorry Carl, I have to disagree ;-)

They are in the right ballpark. There is content that needs to be played loud, other simply IS soft.
The important number here is the LUFS value. Around -18 to -19 gives a proper level in the cinema. It tends to get louder (like a trailer for an action or SciFi movie) towards -15 to -16, and speech intelligibility suffers above -23 to -25. Those are rough numbers, and it's always a good idea to check them on a calibrated cinema sound system.
You will get complaints, below -14/-15 LUFS. With below, I mean 'numbers'. As LUFS are negative, 'below' is 'higher' mathematically. So, a LUFS value of -12 is insanely loud. Also, many cinemas play preshow at a lower level than main feature. So it depends a bit on the character of your piece and the playout habits.

There is no objective measure wether a specific sound mix loudness is 'right'. Just as there is no objective measure for the 'right color' of a sunset in a movie.

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Take Carsten's word over mine in this matter ;)
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I learned that LUFS really helps in setting levels to a usable value. I analyzed a lot of commercial trailers with DCP-o-matic, and also was able to get some client feedback. I think I wrote something around this a while ago here with some interesting screen shots, let me see...

The common recommended LUFS of -23 LUFS implies a home listening experience (as LUFS/R128 has a broadcast background). People are used to higher levels in cinema, so, 3-5 dB more is okay as a rule of thumb. That results in 'average' LUFS values of -18 to -20 to be 'okay'. Not necessarily 'right', but 'okay'.

Ah, there it is...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=980&p=3576#p3576

It's a long read, but it sure is interesting...

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Guddu

Post by Guddu »

Last night while waiting for feedback on this and given that I had some very strict timelines to tackle, I did a adjust of -2 on all the channels (except LFE). Still need to see how it plays out in the cinemas though. Is that Ok to reduce it by 2 dB or did i messed it up?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

-2 dB won't hurt anyone.

- Carsten