Encrypted SMPTE DCPs for Sony MB

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
SpeakerToMeat

Encrypted SMPTE DCPs for Sony MB

Post by SpeakerToMeat »

Hello forumers.

Question, has there been any kind of progress at solving the issue of CPL/KDM errors for encrypted SMPTE DCPs on Sony Media Blocks before version 1.54.0?
Carsten

Re: Encrypted SMPTE DCPs for Sony MB

Post by Carsten »

Unfortunately, not... :-(

Believe me, Carl has spent considerable time on multiple occasions trying to solve this problem. I my self so far stepped back from upgrading our Sony to 1.54 in order to be able to confirm a potential pre-1.54 solution.

I recently tried to contact Sony about what they did when going from 1.53 to 1.54 in order to solve the issue, but their answer was that the solution is to update the Sony to 1.54...

Did you try one of the most recent DCP-o-matic releases on a 1.53 Sony? I didn't try for a while now.

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I dropped the ball somewhere with this :?

Are you still in a position to test, Carsten?

I can't remember where we got to. Do I remember right that OpenDCP DCPs don't suffer from this problem?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I am sorry to say this here, but, after all the testing we did, it turned out that DCP-o-matic is now the only application NOT able to create SMPTE DCPs with successful SONY verification (which seems to be the prerequisite for successful encryption and KDM generation).
That is, OpenDCP has no issues, CinemaSlides has no issues, DCPC (a german conversion tool) has no issues.
Needless to say, the programmers of those apps never spent any special thought on optimizing their software for Sony SMPTE. It must be something really stupid...
We ruled out MXF related issues, as we created DCPs from unaltered MXF source content coming from the mentioned apps, and they wouldn't verify. So it's something in the metadata files or the signing certs.

QubeMaster had the same issue. As far as I remember, they contacted Sony about it, and Sony changed their software in 1.54. I don't know if they forwarded the information to Qube in order for them to also sort it out from their side.

The Readme for Sony 1.54 has the following change notes that could refer to the issue. Unfortunately, not specific enough, I guess:

• [DCSER-1419] Fixed an issue that KDM signature verification fails if the KDM uses multiple namespace.
• [DCSER-1467] Fixed an issue that verification fails with some specific DCPs.

I believe it is 1467.

SMPTE is knocking on the door, and I guess we need to put effort into this again...

As far as I know, 1.54 is still the most current release for Sony SRX-R5xx.

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Ah yes, it's all coming back to me now!

Can you still test with the "buggy" Sony firmware Carsten? Do you know when you last checked this?

There's a couple of changes to libdcp in early 2018 that could have a bearing.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Yes, as I said, I delayed upgrading our Sony to 1.54 until the issue is solved, so, I can still test. I am creating DCPs for our Sony all the time, mostly with current or close to current versions of DCP-o-matic. I think I created a 30fps SMPTE DCP last week with one of the recent 2.13.x I think, and I think it didn't verify. But I can try the most recent 2.13.x tomorrow.

- Carsten
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Forgot to mention, there was another (expensive) mastering software suffering from the same issue. I was contacted by their CEO for help in this, and forwarded them to Sony. I think they solved the issue, and later on, I approached him again for insight, but he never answered back, I think he is no longer with that company, or, he understood that helping free software is against his own interests.

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Yes, as I said, I delayed upgrading our Sony to 1.54 until the issue is solved, so, I can still test.
Now that's dedication! :)

Did you recreate your signing certificates a while back when DCP-o-matic suggested it? Would it cause great problems to delete your config and let DCP-o-matic rebuild it?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Oh well, not too many exciting things in 1.54 anyway ;-)

No problem. I use many different installations and most of their configs are not worth to be preserved.

- Carsten
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

No validation success for 2.13.98...also no change with a reset config.

By the way - when no config is present, 2.13.98-W64 comes up with a wxwidget error. After bypassing it with Cancel, it's okay on subsequent starts.
IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0129.JPG (121.07 KiB) Viewed 7655 times
- Carsten