DCP containing two CPL files

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
carl
Site Admin

Re: DCP containing two CPL files

Post by carl »

The "no buttons" case may just be that you need to drag the border (just under the scroll bar and "Later" button) down a bit. That is a fairly new thing and it's possible to drag the border so high up that buttons start disappearing.

The error suggests that the DCP is corrupted in some way. Can you load it into the player and do "Verify DCP" from the "Tools" menu?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Yup, the DCP is probably corrupt. Can you download it again?

- Carsten
MarioBacigalupo

Post by MarioBacigalupo »

Hi Carsten - Hope all is well.
We went to theater to ingest the files and the process only reach 50 % then appeared the error shown in the image attached. Definetely I think the dcp is corrupted.
IMG-20190312-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20190312-WA0009.jpg (82.64 KiB) Viewed 6654 times
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Yes, the hash error thrown by the Doremi is pretty obvious.

- Carsten
MarioBacigalupo

Hi Carsten,
I've found the corrupted file, it was the mxf -the smallest one- containing a presentation from Cinemex, can I remove the corrupted file and use the other mxf's in order to make a new dcp?
The files that contain the video mxf files have a Start information at the beginning of every reel, how can I hide that info?
See the image below.
Start Reel.jpg
Start Reel.jpg (84.13 KiB) Viewed 6642 times
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Hmm. It is possible to edit out the bad MXF, both by hand with a text editor, or in DCP-o-matic. However, both ways can be complicated in different ways. Do you understand the CPL scheme for playout? Yes, you could try to erase the reel references for the bad MXF reel (both in video, audio, and, if present, subtitles). You need to understand the XML tag sequence to do this properly. However, I think it is simple enough to just skip a full video and audio reel. I am traveling now and busy, otherwise I would try myself.

Formally, this edited DCP will be invalid, as the hashes for the CPL (and still for the corrupt MXF) are not valid anymore. A cinema server will reject it. So, you need to recalculate the proper hash yourself.

The easiest way is probably to load that edited DCP with the left out reel into DCP-o-matic and then simply recreate the DCP (Make DCP). That SHOULD fix it. How urgent is this? Can't you request just the corrupt MXF to be supplied again without the error?

You could try to load the MXFs only and recompose the full feature without the corrupt reel in DCP-o-matic , but that could be more complicated, as you need to trim off the mxf heads and tails and reestablish audio lipsync. That can be very cumbersome.

- Carsten
MarioBacigalupo

Hi Carsten
Is there a way to reproduce a dcp choosing diferent CPL versions in the DOM maker?
I know I can in the DOM player but I can't in the maker.

Can I remove or cover a logo presentation in a DCP that is at the start of the first reel'?

Best
Mario
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Multi-CPL selection works both in player and DCP-o-matic main - however, it is a bit hidden in DCP-o-matic main:

- Create a new project file
- Choose 'Load DCP' and point to the folder containing the DCP.

You will then see one DCP/CPL in the content tab - right click on it, and you will find the CPL selection there.

Currently I can't think of an easy way to leave out exactly one reel in DCP-o-matic, as the trimming feature does not allow to select trim time based on reels boundaries. However, you can drag the position slider where you want the cut to happen, and then populate the 'Trim from start' timecode with that position. If you create the new DCP with standard options, a new single reel DCP will be created, with that first part left out.
If that first logo reel is used as is in the original CPL (that is, reel in and out point exactly at reel start and end), you could load the single reel separately into DCP-o-matic (Add File -> reelxyz.mxf), and find it's exact length - memorize it's length in h:m:s:f, and trim the CPL according to that value.

I just tried it with the ISDCF SMPTE Test DCP (two CPL), and it works. However, DCP-o-matic will only create a single CPL. If you need both CPLs from the original DCP, you have to do it one-by-one and end up with two separate DCPs, one for each CPL. You also need to make sure you name the new DCPs properly, as DCP-o-matic does not take over the original CPL names. You also need to take care about the proper DCP aspects of the original DCPs/CPLs yourself - e.g. if one CPL is 7.1, you need to make sure the current DCP settings use the 12ch audio setting. Currently, there is no way to have DCP-o-matic just take over the original CPL parameters automatically. Container type, resolution, etc. all need to match, otherwise the new DCP will not be a copy, but a new transcode. Datarate does not need to match (no way to match anyway).

- Carsten