KDMs not recognized on some DCP2000 ?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
barber

KDMs not recognized on some DCP2000 ?

Post by barber »

Hi there !

For the first time since I use DOM, a theatre was not able to ingest my KDMs. The configurations of the two rooms are not exotic at all :
- Doremi DCP2000 with software 1.2.1-0 + firmware 21.1Z and projector NEC NC3200S with software and firmware both 3.0
- Doremi DCP2000 with software 2.0.10.0 + firmware 21.2K and projector NEC NC2000C with software 4.1 and firmware 3.0
I tried with KDMs in Modified Transitional 1 (as usual), MT1 without AutorizedDeviceInfo, DCI Any and DCI Specific. The operator kept telling me the KDMs was not recognized by the servers : no message when pluging in his USB key.

Eventually, I used the online service DCPTools KDM Studio... and it worked. Of course I made sure I put the right Doremi serials in DOM...
Would you have an idea about what could be involved in this case ?

If useful for comparison you will find attached 2 KDMs : one issued by DOM (not recognized) and one by KDM Studio.
The original encrypted DCP is 24fps 2K Interop with subtitles.

Best regards,

Dan
Attachments
kdm_DCPTOOLS-KDMSTUDIO_20190306_20190313_F5804S155013.kdm.xml
(16.28 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
KDM_DOM_Montargis4_2019-03-13_00-01.xml
(14.32 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
Carsten

Re: KDMs not recognized on some DCP2000 ?

Post by Carsten »

The reported Doremi software versions must be wrong. Typical Doremi standalone server software versions are 2.4.x (old), 2.6.x (outdated),2.8.20 (current). The IMS versions can differ.

Did you issue KDMs for these machines before?

Whatever happened there, one reason this could happen is that the serial you used for downloading is no targeting the actual media block that specific system is using. I don't think this is a problem with DCP-o-matic itself (other than maybe it downloaded the wrong cert). Sometimes, media blocks are replaced, and the old serial does not correctly target the new certificate.

If no popup message occurred after plugging in the USB key, it may not be because the KDM is invalid, but there is something wrong with the stick. Did he use the same stick with for the KDMs issued with DCP-Tools? Were both the DCP-o-matic KDM and the DCP-Tools KDM on the same stick?

I would advise as a first test to go to the Dolby cert site, enter the E-SN, and download the cert manually, then attach to that screen in DCP-o-matic (you may create a second 'temporary' screen. Then try to create the KDM again.

There is also an online KDM/CPL/Cert checker:

https://www.kdm-inspector.com
http://www.dolbycustomer.com/cinema/Certificates

When I try this with the sha256.pem cert for ESn 213862, both of your KDMs are indicated as matching.

When I compare the 213862 cert I downloaded manually from Dolby with the one DCP-o-matic downloaded and stored into the cinemas.xml database, they are identical.

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
barber

Post by barber »

Thank you for your answer Carsten. No I never issued KDMs for these specific machines (but on a daily basis for Doremi DCP2K).
It does make sense, however I entered the same device serials in DCP-Tools. The certificate thumbprints shown on its interface are the same than the ones in DOM KDM Creator. Souldn't the KDMs be "the same" ? Is there something I get wrong ?

Maybe it's just a problem with the stick indeed. I will ask the operator (but I suspect he won't be sincere on this point if it's the case :P )

Best,
Dan

EDIT : Yes I had tested with the certificates directly from Doremi. Thanks for the DCP Checker link. ;)
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Depends a bit on the knowledge of the operator - usually, when a new USB stick or CRU drive is inserted, the Ingest manager pops up and offers the new content to be ingested, be it KDMs or DCPs. Sometimes, the medium is not detected, or the ingest manager for some reason stays in the background. It is possible to start the ingest manager manually to see wether it really does not detect the KDM/DCP. Usually, if ingest manager detects a valid medium, but no content on it, there is a basic 'No content detected' warning message on the Doremis.

To be sure about what happened, I would resend both KDMs (DCP-o-matic and DCP-Tools), tell him to put them on the same stick, and see what happens. You can still claim these are 'new' KDMs, so, he may feel relaxed by saying 'the new KDMs both work'.

Modified Transitional 1 is correct.

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

There's not much between the two KDMs that you attach; just some minor differences in XML namespacing, really. @barber: are you able to do the check mentioned by Carsten? If we're definitely sure it's a problem with DCP-o-matic's KDM I am happy to make some tests to track down the difference which the Doremi doesn't like.
barber

Post by barber »

Hello Carl,

The operator told me he used the same stick for all KDMs. And when he plugged in the stick with DOM's KDMs there was no message at all (he tried several times since I had made multiple attemps to send him a working KDM).
I asked him if he could test again with both KDMs on the stick at the same time... We'll see.

Best,
Dan

P.S : @Carsten, I noticed that most of the technical sheets I receive from theatres do state Doremis DCP2000 with software version under 2.2.x. Are these documents generally outdated ?
Barak Epstein

Post by Barak Epstein »

not sure if this is related. but im also now having issues making KDM's for DCP2000 's. I was doing fine last week but as of this week no go. Only new variable is the one im having an issue with is in France. Crazy thought but could Daylight Savings have caused a bug in KDM Creator?
The Texas Theatre
www.thetexastheatre.com
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I also notice that KDM_DOM_Montargis4 has DOS line-endings (as one would expect if you made it on a Windows system). But AFAICS there's no way that should cause any problem...
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Also, is there any chance your operator can create a detailed "report " (i.e. log) from the Doremi? I believe no special login is required. Instructions seem to be here.

Also another go at getting the software versions in the Doremi would be very useful.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

First time I hear about KDM issues with Doremis.

Doremi software versions, let's see when I go back...

Current ist 2.8.20, there were some intermediate versions back to 2.8.16. Then the previous major release was 2.6.x, ending in 2.6.4. That was already 2015. Before that, there was 2.4.x (2012/2013), and then 2.2, probably somewhere around 2010/2011.
From another context, it seems there once was indeed a Doremi software version 1.2.1-0
my...that must be from 2009/2010...

I can't believe some cinemas are actually still running 2.2 What do they do when SMPTE DCPs occur to them?

Also their NECs run severely outdated software. Are you sure that is really what they run, or are there just some fact sheets they sent you which haven't been updated for years?

@Barak: Have a go at https://www.kdm-inspector.com as well. You can supply a target certificate (remote Doremi server), KDM, and CPL, and it will show you wether they match. It is also important to know wether there is an error while ingesting the KDM, or, wether the KDM/stick is not recognized at all.

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.