VF to add Subtitles - Query

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
avasthisamar

Re: VF to add Subtitles - Query

Post by avasthisamar »

Its alwyas getting the error message.
Alex Asp

Post by Alex Asp »

Can you describe what are you doing step by step?
perlator82

Post by perlator82 »

Perfect! Work fine.
Big Thanks.
What about KDM protected DCP's?
When i wanna make captions for those files?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You need to get a DKDM from whoever is capable of creating a DKDM for this features, targeted at your specific DCP-o-matic installation. For that, you need to export and send your leaf decryption certificate from Prefs/KeyManagement.

- Carsten
juankax

Post by juankax »

Hello Carsten,

Appreciate if you could guide me on this. This is still not working well for me.

Thanks.
nigeltrei

Post by nigeltrei »

Dear Carl or Carsten,

I'm experiencing the same issue of Guddu posted on "Guddu » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:45 am".
Created a VF from a OV, adding Italian subtitles in .srt and referencing both Audio and Video to the OV.
VF version is made with burn-in subtitle.

When playing the VF on the DOMPlayer (after loading the OV as well), with CPL set to the VF folder, the player says: subtitles:no subtitles and they're not played.

Hopefully the VF file will work in the theatre, but I really need to check this before delivering.

Thank you in adavance.
Nigel
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Hmm.I may understand this wrong, but, you can not make a subtitled VF, referencing audio and video, AND burn-in. That only works with timed text subtitles. Aside from that, no player will ever 'detect' any subtitles if they are burnt-in. Only timed text or timed PNG subtitles can be detected/indicated. You need to disable 'burn-in' when creating a VF the way you describe it.

I will try to create a similar project and test wether DCP-o-matic might allow something there that it shouldn't.
Last edited by Carsten on Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Okay, seems to be a combination of user error and DCP-o-matic allowing to do something that doesn't make sense. Or, not always makes sense.

First of all: Subtitling using an OV using timed text works exactly as intended. However, as already mentioned, it doesn't make sense to reuse video from an OV to create a subtitled VF AND activate burn-in. When using a referenced video from an OV, burn-in should be greyed out, or the 'Use this DCP's video as OV and make VF' checkbox should be reset. Referencing an already encoded video from an OV DCP AND burning in subtitles into it simply is impossible.

Effectively, when creating a VF this way, DCP-o-matic created a VF without any subtitles, even though they are shown in preview. The DCP folder only contains metadata files. The VF is technically correct and only references the OV assets, thus showing the same as the OV.

Wondering wether the 'burn-in' option could still make sense when adding more video content to the VF that is NOT referenced from the OV. In that case, burn-in over source footage would make sense. How would DCP-o-matic decide about when it makes sense and when not?

Okay - I tested this, and, technically, DCP-o-matic behaves correctly. I created a VF based on an OV, added the same content again as source footage, put it after the referenced DCP/video&audio assets. Added a subtitle SRT that overlaps the OV/referenced part and the source footage. Checked 'Burn-in'. In preview, the full subtitle is shown, beginning within the referenced part from the OV, and extending into the new source footage. I created the VF without errors or specific hints. It plays okay in player (load VF, add OV) - but the overlapping subtitles become visible only in the second part that is not referenced from the OV, and, of course, burnt-in. And, naturally, DCP-o-matic player does not indicate subtitles present, because there are no timed text subtitles (as they are burnt-in).

I guess, functionally, I would leave this as it is, as it creates a functioning and technically correct DCP.
But maybe DCP-o-matic could catch this condition somehow when examining subtitles prior to creating the DCP and give a hint, when subtitles are set to be burnt in, but extend only within referenced assets. Or give a hint when 'burn-in' is chosen for a subtitle file when that subtitle overlaps with referenced content in a composition. That condition, though, would need to be catched also in case a subtitle is moved around later and only then overlaps with referenced content.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-06 um 01.45.17.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-06 um 01.45.17.png (364.9 KiB) Viewed 790 times