Player doesn't read multiple subtitles

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
leandroprz

Player doesn't read multiple subtitles

Post by leandroprz »

I've tried many alternatives to try to create a DCP with multiple subtitles. I finally was able to do it, but when testing my DCP I get different results and I'm not sure if it has to do with the players or my DCP.

This is my final DCP folder:

The first 3 folders have each an .xml file with the subtitles in different languages.

When playing the DPC with easyDCP I'm able to choose the different subtitles, but DCP-o-matic doesn't let me do that, it just shows one subtitle (the second one)

Is this maybe a missing feature? I just want to make sure my DCP will play correctly when I send it to festivals.
Carsten

Re: Player doesn't read multiple subtitles

Post by Carsten »

You can not add multiple subs to a single CPL - each subtitle language needs it's own CPL to be created. It's easy to do in DCP-o-matic by doing a non-subtitled OV, and multiple VFs adding only the individual languages.

In your example, I'm wondering how you achieved to get 4 CPLs in one folder. This is possible with other mastering tools, but not DCP-o-matic.

- Carsten
leandroprz

Post by leandroprz »

Yeah, I used other software to create 4 CPLs.

I also tried creating the DPC the way you mention, but when opening the DPC with added subtitles, DPC-o-matic says "Needs OV" and I'm not sure how to link both DCPs.

Edit: I guess I found a way, but it is not working.

I went to File > Add OV and I get this error:

Carsten

Post by Carsten »

https://dcpomatic.com/manual/html/ch05s ... ec-overlay

It is normal that, if you load a VF, the player needs to be shown the OV - that is the same what's happening on a real cinema server as well.

OV and VF need to have exactly the same DCP settings (container, resolution, audio channel count, etc. For subtitled VFs, you refer both to video and audio from the preexisting OV.

Do you use a current version of DCP-o-matic ?

If this is a short, you may just as well create individual full OVs for every version. I understand some festivals prefer/demand OVs anyway, as they feel VFs are more complicated to handle, or they utilize software players that do not support VFs.

- Carsten
leandroprz

Post by leandroprz »

Yes, I downloaded the latest version.