"Cannot reference this DCP: it does not have open subtitles in all its reels"

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

Hi!

I've received a 6-reel 4k OV DCP, with a subtitled VF in a separate folder.
The VF is also 6 reels, but the subtitles in it are only reels 2-6, and I get this error message:

Does this mean that I cannot make another VF referencing this VF and nothing else, or what kind of other problems can I expect?
Carsten

Re: "Cannot reference this DCP: it does not have open subtitles in all its reels"

Post by Carsten »

You can not reference to a VF, I'd say. You need to reference to the OV.

- Carsten
xyzzy

Re: "Cannot reference this DCP: it does not have open subtitles in all its reels"

Post by xyzzy »

Yes, it seems somewhat obvious that a VF shouldn't reference a VF.

But what does this warning (or error?) really mean?

I'm loading the VF in DCP-O-Matic and 'add' the OV as required, but are the reel 1 subtitles missing and the cause of some problem, or is everything alright, for example if I export a new DCP with burned in subs?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

It may be that the warning hint's at a different issue, but the main one is still that you can not reference a VF.

I remember some discussion with Carl about some DCP constraints - I think it's on Mantis. And I think these constraints say - if one reel of a DCP contains a specific asset type, video (natural), audio, or subtitles, then ALL reels need to carry these asset types. For subtitles, that would mean, those reels without subtitles should have empty subtitle reels. Sounds stupid for subtitles, but, one would probably understand it better for e.g. audio.

So, in case you'd have an OV containing subtitles (perfectly allowed), but only in SOME reels, then the same error would occur? But only if you'd want to carry over it's original subtitles I think. I'm trying to dig up that reference I mentioned, but I can't find the proper search keywords...

Whatever - I think you can safely create a new DCP from this OV/VF combo, no matter wether you burn in or create a new timed-text DCP. You just can't create a new VF from it.

- Carsten
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

Yes, it seems very reasonable - for several reasons - that all reels should carry the same asset types.

The DCP was made with Clipster and seems to be ok in all other respects, so I guess this message is just a warning and all is well.

Thank you Carsten!