Is only having 2 chanels likely to cause a problem

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
funkytwig

Is only having 2 chanels likely to cause a problem

Post by funkytwig »

Most of the source material I have been making DCPs for has 2 channels but I have been creating DCPs with 6. Everything has been fine and everyone can reed them. Seems more sensible to create DCPs with 2 channels if the source material only has 2 but I am wondering if this is likely to cause any problems for DCP servers.

Ben
carl
Site Admin

Re: Is only having 2 chanels likely to cause a problem

Post by carl »

I have heard of some servers that refuse to play anything with less than 6 channels, but they seem to be few and far between. 2-channel stuff seems reasonably common the wild. On the other hand, even 6 channels of 48kHz/24-bit is only 6.9Mbit/s (if my maths is right) so not a particularly big deal to include in a DCP.
funkytwig

Post by funkytwig »

Thanks, think I will stick to creating 6 channels.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

It's no problem to create 2channel files technically. Some say it's confusing to designate 2ch DCPs as 5.1 in the ISDCF name, but that is formally correct.

For the commited projectionist, it is a bit nicer to actually see what's in the DCP, instead of guessing why or were the other channels could become active. Although in most cases/cinemas, they will be played without any extra attention anyway.

A lot of independent as well as classic titles are 2ch DCPs, so that is quite common even for the big studios to do.

- Carsten