[SOLVED] Debian Buster package / build instruction

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
ydedy

[SOLVED] Debian Buster package / build instruction

Post by ydedy »

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my encoding cluster from Debian Stretch to Buster. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to the fact that no binary is available for Debian 10 yet... :roll:

The AppImage file seems to be working fine but I prefer the good old deb package installation for deployment especially as I use the cli interface for the headless servers. Will a compatible deb build be provided in the near future?

I tried compiling the software using the Ubuntu build instructions but I run into errors regarding wxwidgets at the very last step (compiling DCP-o-matic itself).

I opened a report on the bug tracker detailing the updated libraries if that is any help :
https://dcpomatic.com/mantis/view.php?id=1596
Last edited by ydedy on Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ydedy

Re: Debian Buster package / build instruction

Post by ydedy »

Carl updated the codebase and the packages on the website.
I can confirm that everything works like a charm on Debian Buster with the 2.14.9 upgrade. :)
Thanks a lot!
scorpio81

Re: [SOLVED] Debian Buster package / build instruction

Post by scorpio81 »

Hi!

I'd like to upgrade to Debian Buster and I'm thinking about an exact steps how to upgrade and not to lose all DOM settings especially encryption ones.
I see the process like:
1) upgrade to Debian Buster,
2) install the latest build of DOM for Debian Buster.

Will upgrading to Buster delete DOM and all of its settings or not? Will I need to restore the settings or they'll be preserved?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

DCP-o-matic upgrades should never risc your config - the config files stay where they are, they are usually not touched by upgrading, and are only (re)created on application startup if not present at all. As such, you should be safe. DCP-o-matic also creates some backups of these files automatically (though I don't know exactly when) - after a while, you should find a couple of these files with increasing numbers.

However, if you use encryption, you should always backup your config files also manually from time to time (app update is a good occasion) and keep them in a safe place (ideally, keep multiple backups).

https://dcpomatic.com/faq?id=23

If your config is lost, you can always recreate the setupy by copying these file into the standard config location. There is no magic about the config, they are just files.

- Carsten
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

Alright, I have installed the latest DOM on Debian Buster successfully. The only problem I have noticed is that the installer needs to be run with root privileges. If not, the installer just closes when install button is clicked, it doesn't ask for root privileges. The 2.14.8 build for Debian Stretch did ask for root privileges.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

What installer are you using? The GNOME one?
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

The DEB package: dcpomatic_2.14.10-1_amd64.deb. Installed it on Debian Buster with Cinnamon desktop interface