DCP + english sub suplement + second language sub

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Carsten

Re: DCP + english sub suplement + second language sub

Post by Carsten »

There is a second occurrence of that 860... file with a -002 extension below. Look at the size of both files. The one with the -002 extension should be the correct one, but because of the changed filename, DCP-o-matic will not even look at it.
From the screenshot, it may be that this the only real problem, so I suggest deleting the tiny _860... file without the extension, then deleting the '-002' from the second file name. Then perform validation again.

There are more probably unusable mxf files with just 4kB in size there, but they may not necessarily cause harm. if you upload the assetmap, PKL and CPL of that DCP here, we may have a look. I assume only two MXF files are actually referenced/needed for this DCP, you may/should delete the other ones after confirmation.

The filmmaker blew it by scrambling the files. I guess you should move all files beginning with an underscore out of that directory, remove that -002 extension, then try again.

- Carsten
perlator82

Post by perlator82 »

Hi guys!
Another enoying thing.
I'm useless...
I'm trying to add second track subtitles but it doesn't work.
Propably the fault is the structure of the dcp package...
I'm attaching 2 screenshots.

I add my DCP and suplement with english subs.
Tick "reference" in audio, video and in subs.

Afer that I import my second language srt file I get error (screenshot)
I tried to "make a dcp".
Everything looks ok, even in player.
But when I play it on dcp projector subtitles duration is abut half second each...
It looks like a bug.
Could you tell me what to do?
I have a screening on friday.

Thank you!
Attachments
ScreenHunter 06.png
ScreenHunter 06.png (8.67 KiB) Viewed 5990 times
ScreenHunter 07.png
ScreenHunter 07.png (18.22 KiB) Viewed 5990 times
ScreenHunter 08.png
ScreenHunter 08.png (9.81 KiB) Viewed 5990 times
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You can not create a VF to a VF - VFs can only refer to an OV.(???!!)

One possible way would be to create a standalone OV from the original OV and VF first. Then create a new VF referencing this new OV.

Another option would be to add the subtitle file of the original subtitled version and the new subtitles in one go. You can reuse the pre-existing subtitle file from the VF package in a new VF DCP, and add your new subtitle file. You should then probably prefer to generate a new OV with both subtitles.

In general, you shouldn't demand too much of the VF method. It should only be used for 'simple' layouts.

It may actually be a bug if DCP-o-matic would allow to reference a VF in a VF project.

edit: It appears that DCP-o-matic allows to reference a VF for a VF in the GUI settings - that should be forbidden. I filed a bug for it.

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
perlator82

Post by perlator82 »

Thanks but I 'm still getting dizzy.
Step by step:
- add VF with english subs to the project
- add OV
- tick subtitles from VF as "open subtitles" (only tick I've made)
- make dcp

- start new project
- import new created DCP OV with english subs
- tick audio, video, subtitles to make vf
- import srt with second language
- after the import of srt, first subtitles have this information - "cannot reference this dcp, it overlaps other text content, remove the other content"

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Maybe subtiles (both) should be used as "open subtitles" and I should tick only video and audio reference (not subtitles)?
Could you tell me step by step what to do?

I will be very grateful.
Lukas
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

After adding VF and assigning OV, you should only tick the 'Use this DCP's video/audio as OV' for video and audio, not the original subtitles. They will have to be reused, together with the new subtitles, and be merged into a single subtitle asset.

The 'overlapping text' message occurs if you refer to the pre-existing subtitle as OV. You can not have two separate subtitle assets in a CPL. They need to be merged. That is not possible when referring to the first subtitle as OV.

I do understand this is complicated, if you don't have the nerves, better create a new standalone OV and skip the VF idea altogether.

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perlator82

Post by perlator82 »

Ok but what should I "tick" in subtitles tab?
Because if I don't tick "use as open subtitles" they are not appearing in DoM.
Only when i tick and choose open sub. What to do?
After that I import new srt with second language and tick "use as open subtitles"?'
they both appear befor creating dcp only if i choose this option.
It is neccesary?
In simple mode :)
What should I do with both subtitles (from vf and srt) in DoM,
I'm asking about settings, tabs, ticks and so on....

Cheers!
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You tick 'use as open subtitles' for both. Then you need to adjust vertical (Y) shift for one file so that they do not overlap - check for two-liners (list view).

That should be it.

Basically, you do what Carl already suggested here in his first reply:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1420#p6016

Make sure the VF has exactly the same settings as the OV (container, resolution, Interop, audio channel count, etc.). Reel size should be set to split by video content. All BEFORE you check the 'Use this DCP's video/audio as OV' checkboxes for video and audio.

Is this a short or a long feature?

Honestly, the kind of questions you ask leaves me in doubt wether you should do that. At least, create one version with the 'Use this DCP's' checkboxes unticked. That will create a fully autonomous OV that you could use as a backup. Don't go the VF route if not strictly necessary.

- Carsten