Flat 1:78 Bars at the top?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Bron

Flat 1:78 Bars at the top?

Post by Bron »

Hi There,

I am trying to create a DCP from 1920 x 1080 25fps film. It's 46 minutes long.
When it's done there are bars at the side as well as the top and bottom.
I understand the bars at the side - however I am confused why there are some at the top and bottom as well.

My settings are :

Container: Flat
Scale to: Flat 1:78

On the preview screen there are no bars at the top and bottom, only when the export is finished.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bronwyn
carl
Site Admin

Re: Flat 1:78 Bars at the top?

Post by carl »

Hi,

You say "when the export is finished" - how do you mean? What are you looking at the DCP with at that point?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Scale to: Flat 1:78
You can only scale to one or the other - for a 1920/1080 footage with no black bars in it (active/effective aspect ratio of 16/9-1.78:1), container should indeed be 'Flat', and ScaleTo 1.78:1/16:9. And as you expect, that should only add lean black bars on both sides.

As Carl seems to assume, maybe you are seeing black bars being added by the playback process window, not in the actual DCP? That, however shouldn't happen in DCP-o-matic player - the player background will be light-grey for non-active areas, and the content should fill exactly the proportions of the chosen container.

Can you show us a screen shot?

- Carsten
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

I guess that the original clip that you have used to be true flat 1.85:1 (2k) and that was taken and fit horizontally into HD 1920x1080 that added black bars at top and bottom.
Then you are taking that clip and it is fitting vertically in DoM and because the source is 1920x1080 DoM then creates the black bar on the site (HD vs 2K) and you end up with DCP witch black frame around the picture because of that.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

But that would show already in preview?!

- Carsten
Bron

Post by Bron »

Hello all,

Sorry I haven’t replied - I didn’t get an alert in my inbox so didn’t realise people had answered my Q

I ended up doing the DCP at 1:85 as that’s what was needed.
Still a mystery about the double bars appearing in preview?

Thanks anyway x